need info on Burma Jeep

Trucks used by the U.S. Army in world War II that were 2.5 tons and larger. Such as Studebaker US-6, International M5-6, 4 Ton tractors (Auto Car, etc.), 5 Ton (Corbitt, etc.), the Dragon Wagon, and any other trucks 2.5 tons and over.
bobc
Captain
Captain

need info on Burma Jeep

Post by bobc »

I just picked up a very nice Ford GTB, bomb truck, very complete and straight, the only problem the guy knows about is that the gears in the rear diff are stripped, when I went up to look at it and buy it today I notice the axles look just like the early CCKW split axles, can anyone tell me if they are the same, that would make my life much easier since I have several laying around, other then the bubba cab it's a really nice truck,I just can't seem to find out very much info on it, any help or direction to someplace that might have more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks bob Image
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
Cat Man
Major
Major

Re: need info on Burma Jeep

Post by Cat Man »

Humm...

Interesting question. I owned one once. Sold it to another local collector and the manuals went with it. It is still in the area. I may see him this weekend.

I think it will require comparing the Ord 9 parts catalogs.

Neat trucks. Looks very complete. The bomb hoist is always missing. Be careful with getting a title transfered. The one I had came from South Dakota and the title read 1943 Ford "Bomb Truck". This was right after the 9-11 attack. The DMV people here went nuts when they read "bomb truck". Call it a "1943 Ford Truck" if you can.

I'll see what I can find out about axle compatability.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
bobc
Captain
Captain

Post by bobc »

Thanks CATMAN, Out here I just get a bonded title, take a little longer but it works. In this picture you can see the side mounted tool box is still there, and some one closed it so it's not rotted out,it still has the original seat as well,I was happily shocked when we got to it. Image
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I can't find my manual right now, but I believe the rear is 6.66:1 like the CCKW.
The internals (ring pinion etc) may be the same but the housing is definately different due to the spring mounts.

BTW, even though I am a "GM Man", this Ford manual puts the CCKW/Chev manuals to shame!

BTW2: there are no adjustments on the valves. You either grind the seats or the valve stem! They sell adjustable lifters for the Ford V8's maybe for the six too.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
bobc
Captain
Captain

Post by bobc »

Thanks DOC, I had seen in Crismons that they all seem to use the same gear ratios, the guy I got the Studebaker and CCKWs from told me they all used the same axels so I was hoping the Burma jeep did as well. I've never had the pleasure of tearing into the third member of one of these axles so I'm not sure if it wouldn't be easier to cut all the spring hangers off and reweld them to another rear end?
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

If it is like the CCKW/Chev differences, the U-joint flange would be different

I had a chance to get one of these for free about 25 years ago. The Stupid Dr was out to lunch that day.... and didn't grab it....
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
bobc
Captain
Captain

Post by bobc »

I was able to get back up to the truck today,took a battery and enough tools to rebuild the truck, with only a little point cleaning it fired right up, filled the water and checked the oil and drove it out of the sand across the highway so I could get a semitruck roll back wrecker to it, then I had a friend that lived close by come over with his back hoe and dig out the bed that was sitting by the creek, it had gotten covered up when the cleaned up a couple years ago so I was sure what I was going to find when we got it out, other then the skunk I was very pleased with what I found, the tail gate, mud guards,tail lights, tool box with door all in very good shape, none of the rust is deep, I may use this bed on the GTB , I hope to have them both home tomorrow so I can clean them up and see what I have, but over all I'm thrilled! Image