Vacuum brakes, 7 tons semitrailer

Trucks used by the U.S. Army in world War II that were 2.5 tons and larger. Such as Studebaker US-6, International M5-6, 4 Ton tractors (Auto Car, etc.), 5 Ton (Corbitt, etc.), the Dragon Wagon, and any other trucks 2.5 tons and over.
Paul
Sergeant
Sergeant

Vacuum brakes, 7 tons semitrailer

Post by Paul »

Hi all,

At the moment I'm restoring with friends a 7 tons semi trailer which was pulled by a Studebaker US6x4. The trailer is equipped with vacuum brakes. Original the brakes were made by Bendix. We have the following problem. We're missing the conversion valve of the trailer.
My question is if someone knows who has such a valve or a manufacture that is still producing these kinds of valves? I tried PBR in Australia who still making this type of valve but this company is not responding to any of mine mails. Is there another manufacturer of these valves or does someone knows a place were I can find a conversion valve? The model which was made by Bendix was called SPC-PC and the complete system had the name Bendix BK vacuum according to the manuel.

Hopefully someone has a solution.

Best regards,
Paul Hazen
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Paul
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Paul »

Thanks for the link, I've found the same manual once on a other site. Not many of these trailers are restored. We were lucky enough to find a relative complete one. The valve is the only missing item at this moment. The trailer was converted by the Belguim army to air-brakes.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I actually think you can use it w/o the valve. If the control line is connected directly to the vaccume cans. It would probably just be a little slow releasing.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Flx49
Private

Post by Flx49 »

I have a 1948 Ford road tractor with a1948 Freuhauf semi trailer with vacuum brakes. I had to change the trailer brakes from air to vacuum. There is a company called Velvac that supplied all the parts to convert the system. They had the converter valve, but that was about 15 years ago. I'm sure they are still in business. You can check the www.