Big Tyres

Trucks used by the U.S. Army in world War II that were 2.5 tons and larger. Such as Studebaker US-6, International M5-6, 4 Ton tractors (Auto Car, etc.), 5 Ton (Corbitt, etc.), the Dragon Wagon, and any other trucks 2.5 tons and over.
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Big Tyres

Post by Canadian Gunner »

Hi All;

We are currently working on getting our 90mm M1 AA Gun ready for public display (that means towing it to events :D ) and it has (in today's terms) odd sized tyres: 10.00 x 22.

I have been able to locate two versions of this size tyre (a size that was once very common on busses and semi's but now completely supplanted by the newer radial 10.00 or 11.00 X 22.5 :cry:

I'm told by some 'experts' that the 22.5 tyres will fit my 22 inch rims and others have said that they will not fit and would be dangerous. Of course I learned a long time ago to always back up others 'expertise' with good research and frequently, with actual experimentation, so I may borrow a 22.5 just to see if it will fit my rims or be visibly too big.

Nonetheless, I am not prepared to tow a nearly six ton cannon on public highways and byways on tyres that are not approved by the manufacturer, so all the guys who are thinking "liability", with their fingers poised over the keyboards, relax... my momma raised a fat ugly kid, not a stupid one! :shock:

What I am looking for is a source for NOS or good seconds in 10.00 X 22. I don't care if they are highway or NDCC tread (NDCC's would be nice as thats what is rotting off it right now!).

Goodyear makes a gnarly looking tire in 11.00 X 22 (Unisteel G177) at about $890 each:!: and Firestone have a highway tread example at a much more reasonable $485 per tire :cry: hence my dilemma.

We will need four for the 90mm and eventually eight or more additional ones if we ever get the nerve and the money to tackle our big REO.

Cheers! Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Have you considered different sized wheels?

Either 20 or 24 inch?

Yes I realize that they would not be "original" but $890 for one, wholly cow :cry:

The Corbitt and Brockway had some models that had 22 inch and others that had 20 inch
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Change of rims

Hi Dr Deuce!

We think along the same lines... I borrowed an 11.00 X 20 off my M41 semi tractor as the bolt pattern and middle hole were the same... wouldn't fit over the 21 inch brake drums! :twisted:

Put it on backwards so I could at least tow the gun to the other side of the yard as both tyres on that side went BANG when we aired them up (from a safe distance mind!) The rubber on the Mohawk Chief's (99% tread and really nice looking) is completely petrified and the side walls went on both tyres!

24's won't fit inside the space availabe for wheel and rubber as the side outriggers block the way so I'm stuck with the 22's though I'm not adverse to trying 22.5 rims if I can't score four of 'em from the local scrapper.

Thanks for the idea!

Cheers! Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Big Tyre Progress

I went to the local 'country folk' tyre dealer who is not afraid of anything I have ever brought him and he has ordered me four retreads on good 10R22 carcasses of the same weight bearing range as the originals.

I will live with the radial tyres to get something to fit and to have the peace of mind of modern tyres under the caps. He found an aggressive tread that looks somewhat like NDT in the recapping catalogue (usually used on logging trucks) at $270 per tyre... :shock:

After much shopping around I am comfortable that he is getting me good tyres at a fair market value (I was surprised to learn how valuable retreadable carcasses are in the truck and trailer industry) so to get the 90mm onto the road safely its still gonna be $1200 just for the rubber! It was almost $400 to get the rims sand blasted, epoxy primed and painted with several coats of quality paint. Still to go is a complete overhaul of the bearings and electrical brakes and all the wiring and lighting. Then on to the "stuff that goes bang" parts once we can at least tow it safely.

Sure am looking forward to the day we can make this old girl roar again! :D

Cheers! Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
James Scott
Draftee

Post by James Scott »

Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Big Tyres

Thanks, James. I'll check them out!

Cheers! Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Big Tyres

Hi Guys:

Its been a while since I posted... I've been away on military duty and had to focus on the task at hand!

Its been almost 18 months since I asked for advice on 10.00X22 tires. I thought I had a solution with retreads but that fell through. No one could find four matching carcasses for me!

Surfing the web back in June (I did get some time to myself!) I found a website dedicated to the restoration of the big evil semi rig from the movie "Duel" (1970 something). The then owner of the truck (it has since been sold) mentioned that he had just fitted new 10.00X22 steering tires to the rig. I emailed him (nice guy named Dan Bruno) and he put me onto the tire distributer: Purcell Tire in Fenton MO. He suggested I speak to "Ben". Well I got ahold of Ben and a week later I was the proud owner of four brand new tires from India (CEAT brand) with tubes and flaps, delivered to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg NY for just over $1600 all up. Duty hauling them into Canada added another $160 and they were mounted within a week... hard work!

Fitting them to the gun has been another adventure involving spun studs and seized wheel nuts but all of them are on the gun now. Needless to say it took two years to find and fit the right tires but patience preservered!

Cheers! Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Pictures?
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Hi Bill: Still trying to figure out to attach 'em... call me "Luddite"!! ;}

Cheers! Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

The 10.00X22 inch tires ready to mount on the 90mm AA gun M1A1.

Cheers! Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Good looking Tires Mike.

Those are expensive.

Great "scenery" scattered around the yard.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Hi Bill:

I succumbed to the disease at a young age- bought my first jeep as a 20 year old Lt... lots of energy, no brains! Now I'm a 51 year old Maj with no energy and still no brains! :D

The stuff seems to stick like post-it notes... I keep accumulating "interesting scenery" and have almost no time to work on it due to being overseas 8 months of the year! Nonetheless, I keep tinkering away!

The 90mm went to its first public event not too long ago... its a brute to tow, 9 tons!

Now that I've learned how to post pics I'll start adding more over time. I've never done the list of vehicles after my name thing 'cause I'd be embarrassed at the very loooong length and how little is actually restored! We have over 110 major pieces and manage to keep 9 plated and licenced along with 7 artillery pieces that can be safely dragged out for public events.

I'm interested in trading the M48A3 turret for artillery piece(s). Its a complete training turret with the gun.

Cheers and Ubique! Mike

Our FV432 at the local fair... crappy parking job

The 90mm at the Classic Air Rallye at the National Aviation Museum, 28 August.
We figured an anti-aircraft theme was appropriate to an airshow so we took the 40mm Bofors and some other AA guns as well!

Our 1942 6 pounder anti-tank gun fires the minute gun salute for Remembrance Day.
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan