TM-10-1499, Autocar Van Body Truck

Trucks used by the U.S. Army in world War II that were 2.5 tons and larger. Such as Studebaker US-6, International M5-6, 4 Ton tractors (Auto Car, etc.), 5 Ton (Corbitt, etc.), the Dragon Wagon, and any other trucks 2.5 tons and over.
DodgeNick
Private First Class
Private First Class

TM-10-1499, Autocar Van Body Truck

Post by DodgeNick »

I'm trying to locate a copy of the following manual:

TM-10-1499, Autocar 5-6 ton, 4x4, Van Body Truck, Model No. U-8144.

An original or copy will do and in any condition (within reason!).

We believe we may have discovered the chassis/cab etc for this truck and require information on the van body (mainly the K31) to initially identify that the truck is one of these and then eventually fabricate a new radio body.

Information on this particular type of truck is scarce so any information/help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

Hi Nick,there is a picture and brief description in Vanderveen's 'Fighting Vehicles Directory'. He says the body was manufactured by York-Hoover and vehicles designated K30,K31 and K62 were used by Army Air Fotces to house and transport radio equipment. It superseded the 4 ton GMC which had a similar body, these must be quite rare as apparently only 316 were supplied during 1941 /2 but I have a photo of one which I took in Normandy in 2004.

Regards
Degsy
Last edited by Degsy on Mon May 26, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .
DodgeNick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DodgeNick »

Hi Degsy, Thanks for the info. Portrayal Press are specially reporoducing some manuals for us at the moment so hope to have them in the next few weeks.

We have been unable to track down another one of these trucks anywhere in the world so far but thats not saying there aren't anymore out there - does anyone know the whereabouts of one!

Attached is a photo of the one we rescued earlier this year in the state that we dragged it out of the hedge.

Obviously the crane is a post war addition (although it is the same type of crane fitted to Diamond T's) but fortunately part of the original rear box body remains immediately behind the cab and the original York Hoover data plate remained indicating that it was a K31 body produced on 18th June 1943.

Inside the cab there is also a data plate indicating the TM number required for the truck.

The only misfit so far is that all the literature available states that these trucks were not fitted with a winch, however, ours does have one and there is absolutely no evidence/signs indicating that this was a post war addition. We are guessing that during the war they just used any chassis going!

We believe that as the truck is so rare we will restore her. As you can see, the cab is pretty much past it but the chassis is in pretty good shape (although 4 foot has been chopped of the end!) and as you can still get the cabs in a reasonable condition we may end up doing a swap rather that produce our own panels.

Its going to be a long project but I'll keep you all up dated.

Are you able to post a copy of your photo? It would be interesting to see.

Thanks
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

Hi Nick, as you probably know Vanderveen also says no winch fitted to the vans but he also says that all the tractor versions were fitted with a winch but who knows what may have happened to this truck in its 64 year life? Sorry I can't post or email you a pic as this particular one is not in digital format and I haven't got access to a scanner.
GMC 352 B1
MVT
DodgeNick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DodgeNick »

Degsy,
Thanks.
I've attached a photo of the York Hoover data plate for info.
It will be interesting to see what other things are found once we start working on her!Image
Cheers
Nick
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

Hi Nick, if you look on HMVF at Steves pics from Debach there is a photo of a GMC which could well be the same one that I took the pic of in Normandy. Strange coincidence!
GMC 352 B1
MVT
DodgeNick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DodgeNick »

Degsy, Found the photo on HMVF, great looking truck.
The K31 body is quite a bit different as it has large doors on one side which open up and there are less windows. That could be the hardest thing to either track down or produce on this truck.
Cheers
brian
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by brian »

http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/SCR-270.html

looks like them was for the scr-270 radar
scroll down
BB
parts is parts
wc-4
brian
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by brian »

parts is parts
wc-4
brian
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by brian »

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/re ... ous-4.html

according to the chart if you scroll down the k-31 housed the power unit?
and the power unit was a pe-74 for an scr-270?
parts is parts
wc-4
KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

Hi i know this is not to do with the truck she is a beauty,, but i recognise the ward wrecker and owner but forget his name (sorry)... :? great stuff :D :D hope to see it at beltring ??? any chance on that or does she need to much work
1941 GMC 352 A1 Cargo 29595
1942 GMC 353 F2 Workshop 102620 ST6 Type M18 Electrical Repair
1942 GMC 353 B2 Cargo
1942 Ben Hur 1ton Wooden Cargo Trailer
1942 Chevrolet G506 G7113 Tractor 1NK 245837
1944 5ton The Trailer Company of America, Stake and Platform Semi Trailer
1943 Dodge WC63 6x6 82035401
194? Diamond T 968a 968A7471
PFC 514th Q.M T.C We Deliver Everything, Except Babies
DodgeNick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DodgeNick »

Hi Kevinabr,
I've been away for sometime but have just got back and trawling through numerous websites!
The ward belongs to Mike (Tootallmike). Unfortunately there is more chance of landing a donkey on the moon that getting the Autocar to Beltring! It is still in storage and no further work has been carried out. The current owners are still trying to find out info on it and track down parts. The restoration will take a few years.
I am not aware of the owners wishing to trailer it to any shows. It will be a great vehicle once finished though!
Obviously, if anyone has any other information on this truck then we would be more than pleased to hear it.
All the best,
Nick.
brian
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by brian »

out of the 9-2800.
TM 9-817
9-1817
9-1825B
9-1826C
9-1827A
9-1828A
9-1829A
9-1832A
SNL G-511

you should contact gene at the mobile radar site.
he might have some info
http://www.mobileradar.org/radar_descptn_2.html

BB
parts is parts
wc-4
brian
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by brian »

also see
TM 11-1510
11-1570