First post, & many questions.....

Trucks used by the U.S. Army in world War II that were 2.5 tons and larger. Such as Studebaker US-6, International M5-6, 4 Ton tractors (Auto Car, etc.), 5 Ton (Corbitt, etc.), the Dragon Wagon, and any other trucks 2.5 tons and over.
bikeboy
Draftee

First post, & many questions.....

Post by bikeboy »

Hello everyone,
New to the trucks and the forum, so here goes:
I recently stumbled onto a former military truck, and have now decided I either need it, or something similar. Based on my limited experience, here is what I "think" I know about it. International with a Diamond brand straight six. Open top cab, with flat windshield. The frame has been extended and it is currently carrying a rice spreader. The truck runs, but is missing the inner duals on the rear, and has had various retro's done over the years. I have no use for the spreader and the farmer said he would sell the truck (less spreader) for $2500.00.

Is this a reasonable price for a running project truck? The shortening of the frame does not worry me, as I won't have any trouble fixing that aspect of it.

I am having trouble finding Intl info, any suggestions?

Other than popularity, any issues with getting a Intl as my first truck?

Thanks Much
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

It's impossible to answer your question without more infomation as International produced a variety of trucks ie 4x2,4x4, 6x4 and 6x6 all with different 6cyl engines, different cabs and different wb lengths. The only common denominator being that they were used almost exclusively
by USN andd USMC. Is there a data plate with any details? I am fairly sure we will be able to help you if you can provide a little more detail.

Cheers
Degsy
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .
blackdog
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by blackdog »

Also, where do you live in California?
timpage
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by timpage »

I believe most came with a Red Diamond 361 cubic inch inline 6 engine. A very strong and capable engine. I have seen one at a nearby museum with the enclosed cab.... it is unrestored and setup as an oil field type of rig. Unfortunately the IH club I am a member of was never allowed to take over care of this truck.

www.oldihc.org is one good website that may be able to help you out.

Also there are some very knowledgeable people at www.binderbulletin.org though this site leans more towards Scouts and Pickups there is still good reading and people who may be able to point you in the right direction.