Cranemobile.

Trucks used by the U.S. Army in world War II that were 2.5 tons and larger. Such as Studebaker US-6, International M5-6, 4 Ton tractors (Auto Car, etc.), 5 Ton (Corbitt, etc.), the Dragon Wagon, and any other trucks 2.5 tons and over.
Matt
Major
Major

Cranemobile.

Post by Matt »

I have been offered a WW2 era mobile crane. it is a four wheel,rear steer unit with the jib mounted in front of the driver and extending forwards.the front axle has twin wheels of abount 7.50-16 and the rears are singles. it has a Chrysler flathead six,no cab and heavy push plates front and rear.

The story goes it is a "Cranemobile" and was made in the USA or Canada during WW2 but as all dataplates are missing I have no way of telling for sure.

Does this thing sound familar to anyone? it's free if I move it(which is goung to cost me).I'll probably have it but it would be good to know exactly what I'm getting first!

Thanks!

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
mick.wilson
Captain
Captain

Post by mick.wilson »

Sounds interesting, have you got any photos ?
Mick.
ImageImageImage

514th Q.M T.C We deliver everything, except babies
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Hi Mick,

I have one photo but no scanner. if it's something you maybe interested in I can put you in contact with the owner as now it looks like I'm getting a Diamond T that will eventually do any lifting I need done. the crane is in Dorset.

Matt.
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Chances are, that the yard crane was made by Clark, and even greater are the chances that parts are non existant if it were made by Clark during WWII.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

I think I have an ID for it,it's an early Hyster Karry Krane,aka Cranemobile. engine and gearbox are Chrysler,although this one is missing it's engine as it had a Perkins fitted which has now been removed also. they came in two sizes,this is the larger one,I have a photo showing crated Jeeps being unloaded at Colwyn Bay in 1943 by the smaller model of Karry Krane.

Matt.
mick.wilson
Captain
Captain

Re:

Post by mick.wilson »

Matt wrote:Hi Mick,

I have one photo but no scanner. if it's something you maybe interested in I can put you in contact with the owner.
Matt.
Hi Matt,
Yes please, if you could give me the guys contact details that would be great. We have been thinking a crane is just what we need to finish off our Red Ball depot display, it maybe just what we have been looking for.
Thanks.
Mick.
ImageImageImage

514th Q.M T.C We deliver everything, except babies
S p r u e o n e
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Navy Seabee cranemobile

Post by S p r u e o n e »

Hi, does this cranemobile look like this one?

I'm trying to find more info on this vehicle.
Drawings and technical illustrations would be great.
S p r u e o n e
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by S p r u e o n e »

Mick, Thanks for the PM info and reply!
cool dude.