Is this a fair price?

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
Wolfen
Corporal
Corporal

Is this a fair price?

Post by Wolfen »

Today I went to look at a Closed Cab CCKW 353. The owner, is asking $5000.00. The Truck has not been restored. The Truck has a Cargo Bed on it and comes with Racks, Hoops and Troop seats.The Truck does run and the only bad Rust is at the Bottom of the Drivers Door. The Truck runs and has the Original Engine. The Truck has been converted to 12 Volts. The Carb was just Rebuilt. The Paints not bad, but it would need to be repainted. The minuses that I saw were:
1. The Tires are Junk. They would all need to be replaced.
2. The Gas Tank is not original.
3. There is no Spare Wheel.
4. The Windshield is cracked and needs to be replaced.
5. The Wheel Cylinders leak and need to be Rebuilt/Replaced.
6. All of the Hoses need to be replaced.
7. Both Wipers including the Motors, are missing.
8. The Cab will need new Weather Stripping.
9. The Battery has been moved to underneath the Hood and the Batter Box is missing.
10. The Racks, Bows need to be replaced.
I would appreciate anyfeedback on thoughts on if this is a fair price. If you don't think this is a fair price, please suggest what you think would be a fair price. :)
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Is this a fair price?

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Did you get a chance to drive it? How does it respond?

How long did you let it idle. I have found equipment that will start up and run but after warm-up the start pissing/weeping coolant from all over and smoking badly. Not saying this one does but it is worth a long idle.

In just looking at the "needs" it looks like about $4500-$5000 in additional parts...not including the labor for you to put them in.

There are a lot of CCKW's for sale out there right now. Compare what those have and are priced at to what you are looking at. It will help you set a value.

And remember as with any HMV you are buying a money pit. If you think it will cost you $5000 to get it back you can basically double that.

Bill

Wolfen wrote:Today I went to look at a Closed Cab CCKW 353. The owner, is asking $5000.00. The Truck has not been restored. The Truck has a Cargo Bed on it and comes with Racks, Hoops and Troop seats.The Truck does run and the only bad Rust is at the Bottom of the Drivers Door. The Truck runs and has the Original Engine. The Truck has been converted to 12 Volts. The Carb was just Rebuilt. The Paints not bad, but it would need to be repainted. The minuses that I saw were:
1. The Tires are Junk. They would all need to be replaced.
2. The Gas Tank is not original.
3. There is no Spare Wheel.
4. The Windshield is cracked and needs to be replaced.
5. The Wheel Cylinders leak and need to be Rebuilt/Replaced.
6. All of the Hoses need to be replaced.
7. Both Wipers including the Motors, are missing.
8. The Cab will need new Weather Stripping.
9. The Battery has been moved to underneath the Hood and the Batter Box is missing.
10. The Racks, Bows need to be replaced.
I would appreciate anyfeedback on thoughts on if this is a fair price. If you don't think this is a fair price, please suggest what you think would be a fair price. :)
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
Wolfen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Wolfen »

I got to drive the Truck around. The Engine does not smoke. You can hear one of the lifters ticking when the engine is running. I asked about that and was told that one of the Rocker arms had come loose. The Owner, had just stuck the Arm back on and told me that the Valves would need to be adjusted. I did a Compression check on the Engine, and the Cylinder Pressure was good. The Engine, started right up. The Truck had sat in a Barn for 10 years before the Owner decided to sell. The Tires and Tubes are the biggest obstacle to my purchasing the Truck. Unless I can find some good used tires, I'm looking at spending around $3000.00 for 11 NDT's with Frieght, Shipping, and Labor. The owner said he saw a Craigs list ad for 11 9.00 X 20 Tires. I.'ve heard of people running 9.00 X 20 Tires on a CCKW, but I don't know if they would fit on the same Rims as 7.50 X 20 Tires. Does anyone have personal experience with these tires? I have a limited Budget and I don't want to spend a big Chunk of it on Tires that will probaly Rot before I wear them out.
Hammerhead
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Hammerhead »

Hey Wolfen,
I think that is a little too pricey. There have been several CCKW's listed in Military Vehicles Magazine recently for 7500.00 to 8500.00 that were already restored or at least very complete! You're going to spend more than that to try to bring this one to a complete state. I learned several HMV's ago that the more complete you buy a vehicle you are so MUCH more ahead. Proceed very carefully with this one.
1944 GMC CCKW 353, 1943 BEN-HUR Trailer
1943 WC-52, 1944 WC-54 (dod 4/19/44), 1945 Willys MB,
4/44 Bantam T3, MVPA 12610, NRA life Member
Wolfen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Wolfen »

Thank you. I think I'll pass on this one. I did get him to drop the price to $4500.00. I'm going to have to subscribe to that Magazine. I like the idea of one that is already restored. Although, this one would be a good canidate for someone to restore who has more money then me.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I tried to put brand new 8.25 x 20 mud and snow tires on mau 42 chev plow truck and could not get them onto the wheels. I had to switch it to M35 wheels which are made for 9.00 x 20's
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html