No more Mr Nice guy....

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

No more Mr Nice guy....

Post by dr deuce »

I had the cargo CCKW out the other day for a camping adventure. As I left the driveway, I noticed the parking brake lever about 1/2 way on. I released it and pushed it back. It came back to the 1/2 way point by itself. OK sumpin wrong here, but I needed to keep going so I put something up against it to keep it in the off position.

Later I went to use it and there was nothing there. No connection. OK, something is really wrong.

When I got home I climbed under to investigate thinking I had lost one of the pins at the brake band assy. No, everything was intact. Hmmmm
After a few minutes, I discovered that the lever had unbolted itself from the transmission! Luckily the spacer just fell and jammed into place along side the tranny

I was PI***ed. The tranny has been in there for a long time. I have never seen a truck that can shuck screws and loosen bolts like a CCKW..

I unbolted the floor after much work and propped it up with a screwdriver so I could bolt the brake handle back on

Right then and there, I decided 'no more Mr nice guy. A trip to the HW store for a few Elastic Stop Nuts. This is NOT going to happen again!

BTW I have aircraft bolts with wire holes on the xfer mounting and the pillow block because they had loosened up too previously
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
abn CCKW

Re: No more Mr Nice guy....

Post by abn CCKW »

At least you had a piece of good luck as the spacer was still there .