l blew my truck up!!!

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
G.I. Gino
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

l blew my truck up!!!

Post by G.I. Gino »

hi guys,
dont know if l told you guys, (been busy with army and work) but l blew my truck up on its first major outing!!!, l left melbourne and got to my intended destination, some 350 kms away, all good, she drove like a dream!! we had a convoy consisting of a 37' nash staff car, 2 jeeps, a wla harley and me bringing up the rear, a real impressive sight! then the next day we decided to go for a short drive and BANG!!! she went....towed her back to our camping ground and dropped the sump and removed a stripped timing gear drive...got another one sent up and replaced it but still no good, towed her to her old owners farm and soon as he gets a chance he will get her going again, cant wait, miss the old girl, got some great shots of her being towed by a great looking kenworth and us trying to fix her, but buggered if l can figure out how to get them on this site, hope all is going well for the rest of the gmc family out there, as soon as l know what was wrong with her will let you guys know,
cheers from australia,
gino. :cry:
Cat Man
Major
Major

I blew up my truck

Post by Cat Man »

Hi Gino,

Take heart! I meet many collectors who are affraid to drive their HMV (Jeeps mostly) to a local parade more than 3 blocks from home and feel they made a major victory if the trip ends without the use of a tow chain.

As you can see in other threads on the CCKW site, it is usually the first trip or two with a reworked 65 year old truck that shakes the problems out. Not uncommon at all. Problems will usually come out sooner than later. Once that's over, you can be confidant to drive the old girl anywere.

The long trips are half the fun. I think things in Austrailia are like the US when it comes to getting your CCKW to an event. We live in very big countries and that means driving long distance. Fix her up and drive some more.

Another collector friend says truck breakdowns are sort of like being sick with the flue, You feel sick but you know you'll get over it soon. Welcome to the fraternity of "Big Truck Guys"

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
G.I. Gino
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by G.I. Gino »

thanks cat man,
l was very disapointed at first, the guy l bought it off said l shouldnt have to do anything to it for at least ten years!!, oh well, stuff happens...but l must admit he is fixing it for me FREE of charge so l cant complain :D
but one thing that one way trip did for me in the jimmy was cement my love for big green trucks!! it was great, lve done the same trip in my jeep a few times but this time l saw things from a different perspective, the view was better and l saw things l wouldnt normally see from my lower jeep driving position....I MISS MY TRUCK!!!!...that saying is so true, more fun than a quarter ton!, cant wait to get back in her and drive, drive ,drive, even though shes a bit slower and noisier than my trusty r series mack 6x6 l drive in the australian army corps of transport, l wouldnt swap her for one, well thanks again and l love reading the coments from you guys, lve learnt alot and had a few laughs too, l will one day figure out how to put photos on this thing and show you guys my beast, sorry, babe, she is a beauty,
cheers again
gino.