Roof construction question.

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
SpookyDad
Captain
Captain

Roof construction question.

Post by SpookyDad »

I know this isn't a CCKW question but you guys have been so helpful, I thought I would ask here.

I am trying to decide how to finish the roof on the wooden radio van portion of my truck. Keep in mind this roof has a storage rack on top that will need to be walked on.

My initial thought was to start with some tar and then use the wet tar to stick a layer of tar paper down. Then coat it with another layer of roof tar. Then it occurred to me that a black tar roof in the Texas sun may not be the best idea. So I was considering an aluminized silver coating material.

I also considered a top layer of 26 gauge galvanized sheet but I am concerned about the added weight.

I was walking through Home Depot and noticed a rubber pond liner that would fit over the entire roof. That seemed to me to be the best solution but then realized I would be piercing it by nailing down the slats. I could put adhesive under the slats but I am not sure that would be enough.

The roof deck is 3/4" plywood with a slightly curved top.

Any thoughts?

Neil
1945 CCKW 353 Fire Truck to German Kfz72 Radio Van conversion.
http://716heer.org
Houston Texas
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Use the "single ply rubber " roof material
You simply glue it down with the recommended adhesive
The lumber yards in my area sell it by the sq.foot/yard the "glue" is a special contact cement, they also offer a special cement to use when you seam it together for LARGE roofs or to repair damage and patches
Or use aluminum sheet you could still glue it on and just fasten the "drip edges"
The weight of the galv. sheet isn't even gonna be noticed in my opinion.
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900