ERSATZ M-36/M-49 RINGMOUNT?

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ERSATZ M-36/M-49 RINGMOUNT?

Post by joel gopan »

Anybody spot it?
It is not that far away?
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Re: ERSATZ M-36/M-49 RINGMOUNT?

Post by retro-roco »

joel gopan wrote:Anybody spot it?
It is not that far away?
I guess I'm not sure that I know what you're asking. Spot it where?? I had to go look up the word "ersatz"... means "serving as a substitute; synthetic; artificial"... Is someone coming out with a replica?? or promising too...
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

One has to be nice in this hobby, the word "ersatz" is a lot nicer than "phony," don't you think? I have a limited vocabulary, and "phony" just is not a good word to use in describing something that a collector did a good job on. I save phony for other discoveries. :wink:

Many CCKW owners have Ring Mounts, some improvise, and it gets by most('cepting yours truly). Back pedal thru a few of the weekly poster girls and you will be rewarded with a lot of reverse "Yankee Ingenuity."
I just know you are the right guy to find it. you will not have to back up very far. :wink:

I was a Gov't Quality Control Inspector, specializing in Welded Structures, and some things just reach out and tap me on the shoulder.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

I do not understand the value of this thread?
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Retro the concern seems to be over 1/21/2008, I guess its important to some.

Its even been known for some to drive less than perfect restos and claim them to be museum condition.

Hard to believe I know, but it's a funny ol world!!
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

A hobby is supposed to be fun, we post our fun for all to see. When a pic is posted, it is right there in front of the entire world to see, warts and all.
Many in this hobby are new at it and have much to learn. sometimes a little experience and a sharp eye are a plus.
Am sure an experienced MV judge would not miss as much as most. Loosen up and have a little fun, it is a good way to learn the fine details of collecting, restoring and displaying WWII CCKWs. :wink:

PS,
I learned as an instructor in the military that one has to gain the attention of the class. I do it very well, don't I? :wink:
Did anyone find the mount? It looks nice, and shows that there are clever restorers out there in this hobby.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

weasel_nut wrote:I do not understand the value of this thread?
I repeat my question:

What is the value of this thread?

The answer:

There is no redeeming value to this thread!!!

I see the intent of this thread as one of two things:

1. It is either to belittle the restoration efforts of a private collector. A collector who has put large sums of money and sweat into honoring a vehicle and by extension a country (not his own) who put forth a Herculean effort to rid the world of mad men and their evil beliefs. I commend anyone who takes on the task of restoring 65 year old vehicles. I have even greater respect for all of us who do it entirely ourselves including all the little mistakes we make and shortcuts we may take along the way. Few of us have the resources, financial or otherwise, to do a so called NOS or better restoration….

or

2. To allow the poster to bloviate* about his knowledge of the CCKW. A knowledge of which a majority of the others on this forum can’t even come close to duplicating. Humility is a virtue!
joel gopan wrote:A hobby is supposed to be fun,...
This statement is unquestionably what this forum is supposed to be about…without further qualification or exceptions…For all the participants!

If any of you think you can do a better job than someone else...more power to you. Just keep your bitter comments about their effort or decisons to yourselves.

Further insults of collectors’ efforts at restoring their equipment will not be tolerated.

-------------------------------------------------

* bloviate \BLOH-vee-ayt\, intransitive verb:
To speak or write at length in a pompous or boastful manner.
Bloviate is from blow + a mock-Latinate suffix -viate. Compare blowhard, "a boaster or braggart." Bloviation is the noun form; a bloviator is one who bloviates.
http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoft ... 06/22.html
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Value of this thread...

Post by retro-roco »

Weasel nut, (or Bill),

You can go ahead and block me now, if you are convinced that your determination of a threads value is the only one that matters. You mention there being only two (2) possible reasons for this thread even existing. Simple logic dictates that if even one other value is found in this thread, then your declaration is wrong. I would suggest that you are indeed wrong, as I found this thread (at least the first part of it) enlightening. I don't recall specifically whether I'd really noticed the photo in question before (since it seems that we ALL know which post was even being referred to), but I know that I looked at it with "new eyes" after reading this thread. It had nothing to do with belittling the owner of the truck, or even whether the ringmount was NOS or not. My interest came from trying to learn something I didn't know much about. I will be the first to admit that I know so very little about ring mounts. I've bought a manual that covers the various MG mounts for WWII vehicles, but even that manual was not written with the intention helping an collector/restorer learn the differences between WWII era mounts and post war mounts.

Let me repeat that. It made me look at the photo again, with the hopes of learning something I don't know much about! Do I think less of the truck pictured than I did before? Absolutely not! Do I take the comments as gospel? No more than I do many of the things I read on the internet. Does it make me want to get my manuals out, and perhaps learn some of the subtle differences, so I can recognize them in the future? Absolutely!!

Perhaps this is all of no value to you, and as administrator of this board, I guess you're free to make whatever determinations you feel appropriate. That doesn't mean that I have to agree.
Last edited by retro-roco on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Bill, no sense getting a swelled head. No bad intentions on my behalf. I guess the "emperor wore no clothes" is a good approach to what is posted and pictured. I am sure the remarks on the auction site are played to a different drumbeat.
Thundercat97
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Thundercat97 »

It made me look twice also.... so I do see value in almost all comments. Being new to this hobby - only about 5 years of my life in it, I can tell you that I look at things one way and the "old" timers make me look at things again in another way. I am really learning a lot. I appreciate different views about details and such. Between my WCs, CCKW and Halftrack - I have learned a lot from many people all over the world. Boards like this and others, do add a lot of value to my hobby. I appreciate all comments from novice to advance collectors. A big thanks to all that post questions and answers.
Rob

41 WLA (project bike)
42 57mm Anti Tank Gun
42 WC52
42 CCKW 353 Open Cab
43 Diamond T M3 Half-Track
43 WC51
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer
Hammerhead
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Hammerhead »

I'd like to add my two cents worth here. I agree with Bill here. If the intention wasn't to belittle a fellow restorer's efforts then it certainly came across as sarcastic. :roll: If the intention was to educate the "less-informed", which I am the first to admit I belong, then there is certainly a less confrontational way to go about it. Many times it may not be just WHAT is said but HOW it is said. There are obviously some people out there that know these beloved vehicles alot better than many others. The very reason I and many others come to this forum is to learn as much as I can about my CCKW. There are NO other CCKW owners nearby so I rely on information obtained here and other sources. A sure way to run off people who puruse these forums is to demean, belittle and mock their efforts to restore these pieces of history. :oops: Hammerhead
1944 GMC CCKW 353, 1943 BEN-HUR Trailer
1943 WC-52, 1944 WC-54 (dod 4/19/44), 1945 Willys MB,
4/44 Bantam T3, MVPA 12610, NRA life Member
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Post by Chris_M »

100% agree, Hammerhead. I am a lone wolf in my country with my CCKW as well. Although there are some CCKW owners here, I have no contact to them. This Forum helps me much, keeping my CCKW alive and healthy.

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2