US FLAG CODE

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

US FLAG CODE

Post by joel gopan »

It might do well to permanently post Title 36, U.S. Code, Chapter 10, Subsection 175. Paragraph B, Position and manner of display.

Paragraph B. "The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides or back of a vehicle or of arailroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender."

Many CCKW owners have the U.S. Flag flying from their truck improperly,
one does not have to look far on this site to find an example of improper display.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Joel I'd like to ask, on what date did that "legislation" ? become effective ?
admin
SHAEF
SHAEF

Post by admin »

Joel,

If you have a problem with this site or the content please let me know by PM.

Admin
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

In response to Karoshi.
The United States Code is the codification by subject matter of the general and permanent laws of the United States.

The reason I bring up the U.S. Code is that there are proud collectors of MVs that represent all nations.
These MVs are restored with care and displayed at Museums and events such as rallies and parades. Many US Army vehicle owners proudly display the US Flag to honor the United States.
There are means of safeguarding the honor of the Flag of our Country. Title 10 of the US Code is one means of doing just that.
The US Codes result from Acts of Congress. codifying the Acts of Congress date back to the 1870s when Congress approved the Revised Statutes which has evolved into the present U.S. Code.

Collectors and reinactors dress into period uniforms and mark their MVs to represent a period of United States' involvement in war. Is it correct to assume that these collectors are proud of their vehicles which represent a momentuous time in history and are doing it in good faith?
Then why not do it correctly and display a bit of dignity and respect for the Flag of the United States when displayed on Army Vehicles that the soldiers who drove in war sacrificed so much to defend.

The U.S. Code can be referenced by consulting Wikipedia on the internet.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Post by Chris_M »

When I bought my CCKW from a MV dealer, a correct US 48 Star Flag was already placed as a sticker on the windshield, drivers side. I saw several historic photographs with these stickers as well. So it seemed to be common practice in World War II.
My question is, was there a regulation order in the US Army for this or could the driver choose to place the flag or omit it to his own preference?

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Not sure, the original printed Flags were part of the Invasion Preparation and are informational as to the before and after fording procedure. It is doubtful that all drivers were involved with preparing the D-Day vehicles for fording. Many Infantrymen and other available soldiers were put on detail to help with the task, not all were mechanics. The crews were under supervision of trained mechanics.
The manual for Preparation of Ordnance Material for Deep Water Fording is TM9-2853 (how's that for memory), it does not mention the flags.
TM9-2853 makes for interesting reading as it illustrates every wheeled and tracked vehicle of the period and details the procedure with mamy photos. It would be nice to find the memos that aplied to those Invasion Flags.
What I have already posted is information on correct display of The Flag of the United States when flown from a motor vehicle.
It is a very special symbol, there have been examples of improper display on restored MVs.
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Very informative, and an "offence" that I myself am guilty of. My "incorrectness" arose from a ww2 picture, which I foolishly copied, in the belief that it demonstrated PRACTICE rather than theory. This was however from a combat situation, rather than a formal parade.

Joel a picture of you and your truck demonstrating correct etiquette would be a tremendous aid. For those of us that don’t have your background and extensive military experience, it’s your chance to shine.

I still have some difficulty with The Code and the dress attire of say Evel Knievel, or the singing trio in Spielberg’s 1941. There seemed to be little fuss over that.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I love 1941. I still laugh at the film even though I have seen it so many times. Slim Pickins as Hollis Wood is a hoot. :lol: :lol: :lol:
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Hammerhead
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Hammerhead »

One of the best times I have with my military vehicles is sharing them with actual WWII veterans. When they come in I quickly get my pictures out and show them the restored vehicles. At parades and airshows I cherish the looks of appreciation and happiness on these hero's faces. I always ask if they would like to ride in one of the vehicles. Not one has ever not jumped at the chance!! At this very moment I have 4 names of WWII veterans that I will call this Spring and give them the choice of any of the vehicles they want a ride in. I have displayed American flags on my vehicles (an original 48 star flag) in different positions and not once have any of the veterans, public for that matter, critisized me or stated it wasn't "by the code". The IMPORTANT thing is I'm showing respect for this country, these veterans and these vehicles for what they represent. Hammerhead
1944 GMC CCKW 353, 1943 BEN-HUR Trailer
1943 WC-52, 1944 WC-54 (dod 4/19/44), 1945 Willys MB,
4/44 Bantam T3, MVPA 12610, NRA life Member
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I don't believe any member of this forum or any owner and displayer of historic military vehicles would ever dishonor the American flag.
A question begs for an answer. Do the current regulations in regards to the American flag include obsolete flags. What if one has the flags of the AMerican Revolution on his vehicle just to show patriotism and as you say, Hammerhead, the 48 star flag.
How about the VFW float, an 18 foot tandem axle trailer being pulled by a pick up truck with numerous flags on both truck and trailer? Shurley we would not chastize these brave veterans about proper flag display in a parade.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans