insuring a CCKW

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
g.r.bates
Sergeant
Sergeant

insuring a CCKW

Post by g.r.bates »

Hey all,
I was wondering who was the best company to go with as far as insurance on a CCKW. I have State Farm now and they are trying to stick it as a commerical vehicle even though i have historic vehicle licence on it and have informed them of its limited use. Just curious if there was a company set up for these larger vehicles. Greg
84th ID "Railsplitters" Reenacted

*42 cckw closed cab
*43 cckw open cab cargo
*42 GPW
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Ins

Post by John V Cliche »

Hi GR,

My vehicles are insured currently thru progressive but other com. in the past in a personal auto policy.
My 42 chevy 1 1/2 ton is reg and ins. as a 42 chevy truck period
My 45 cckw is ins. as a 45 gmc truck period
And my M 20 Ford armored utilitycar is ins as a 44 Ford utility car period
Ins. regs. vary state to state , but I have found the less they know the better off you are.
There are specific companies that ins. antique vehicles the rates are cheaper but the restrictions might be to confining for some drivers.
Hope this helps.
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Be careful!

I used Hagerty now having switched from JC Taylor. Taylor will NOT cover you for liability if you are towing an appropiate HMV trailer for the HMV you are driving. Hagerty will.

Also check your state, Some states are more restrictive, some like NH where I live are not.

Also check the trailer reg/insurance status. A numner of years ago, I got a law passed in NH to allow for trailers to be registered as antiques too. When the plates 1st came out, I had 12 of the first 20 issued...
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Ah the friends at Hagerty.

They will not insure your HMV if you don't store it inside.

They will not insure your HMV if you use it in reenacting.

Check the fine print
blackdog
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by blackdog »

Also, in some states, it's a good idea to have a Class B license. There has been lots of debate over the need for a class B with Deuces (of all eras) but I think that it's better to be safe than sorry. If someone gets involved in a serious accident with you and you don't have the appropriate license... ouch...
g.r.bates
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by g.r.bates »

thanks for all the input guys. The licence isnt an issue as I hold a class A currently and noone else drives the vehicle. I guess what I wasnt understanding is that even though MO allows me to purchase Historic plates for it. State Farm is saying that they arent sure if there is a place for it among thier historic guidelines. I have taken the truck to displays but it has not been to a reenactment yet. But im also sure that it will at some point. But again thanks for the input.
Greg

*42 cckw closed cab
*43 cckw open cab cargo
*42 GPW
42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

Hi Brian
I for one do not believe having a class b license is necessary to drive a gmc cckw, the hardest thing about driving one is learning how to double clutch :lol: driving the truck is not hard at all provided you pay attention, and you keep your truck in good runing condition ( brakes) for one. Driving a one ton dual wheel extended cab truck pulling a huge and long fith wheel camper is harder to drive than a deuce and they don't require a class b license. The hardest things I do when driving my truck is using the break down lane alot so as not to slow up traffic behind me, being careful with those original style limited visablity round mirrors, and using hand signals while always giving enough stopping distance between me and the car in front of me :wink: I have driven more modern vehicles that steer harder than my deuce. As far a Insurance goes I have American Collectors Insurance, Antique and Collectible policy, there out of Cherry Hill ,NJ you have to choose from a mileage chart , I went with the lowest no more than 2500 miles per annual policy.You can go higher but so does the price. You also have to keep the vehicle under cover (as though I would leave it outdoor) :roll: and in a locked building,also no hauling any cargo, I told the insurance lady the only cargo I would be hauling would be jerry cans full of gas or ammunition to the boy's on the front lines :lol: she kinda gave me a :? look then I told her it was just a joke :lol: But thats all they needed Except a FEW good pictures of the truck from all angles they wanted to make sure its not a piece of junk, but other than that it was pretty simple oh yea the price $140.00 a year up 20.00 from last year.
JIM 42CCKW
Capt Lee P
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Insurance for CCKW

Post by Capt Lee P »

Hi,

I insure with Hagerty Insurance for all my MV's. Yes, they do require it be stored inside a locked building, however, when I had a claim, they were great.

P.S. I live in California and have a Class A License just to be one the safe side. I also stop at all truck scales.

Lee
Capt Lee, Vietnam Vet, US Army, 1942 GPW, 1944 WC-51, 1943 Batnam T-3, 1943 Ben Hur (wood), 1944 CCKW B2 353
g.r.bates
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by g.r.bates »

For anyone who is curious. My State Farm agent took my case to the underwriters and they decided that as long as i follow the rules of any other historic vehicle then they are willing to insure it as historic.
Greg
p.s. prices for full coverage on it are $95/6 months.

*42 cckw closed cab
*43 cckw open cab cargo
*42 GPW
KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

just to add something here in the uk we have insures who insure anything, but all they really ask is that my cckw is my second vehicle not my main one.. they just want to know its value and sometimes agree its value over the telephone...my cckw costs £90 per year which includes contents tools etc and even my trailer..... all they do require is that im over 25 years old, but even then they will still insure a younger driver at an extra cost