Randolph AFB airshow

Historic Military Vehicle and Military Events of Interest World Wide.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Randolph AFB airshow

Post by armydriver »

Randolph Air Force base is holding their 75th anniversery airshow on Nov. 5 and 6th here in San Antonio. Anyone wishing to come down for the show and participate are welcome. I would love to have some company.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

First Day report on the airshowl. It is harder to get people to bring their vehicles out anymore and a lot of the older guys have sold their trucks and gotten out of the hobby. We had my old 'Betty Boop there, an M37. M151, and 3 MB's . It was a lot of fun and the Air Force was very nice to us. We had accress to the aircrew briefing area that was stocked with coffee, orange juice and donuts in the morning and sandwiches, chips and sodas in the afternoon and evening.
I have been a pilot for nearly fifty years and for the first time I saw structures like car ports on the ramp at Randolph that are built for airplanes. No sides front or back like a hanger, but open covers where the aircraft just taxi in, tie down and can taxi out. We were under one such sturcture and man I can tell you it is nice sitting in the shade with a nice Texas breeze. I hope to have photos today. I took none yesterday as I forgot to charge up the camera.
We lose the jeeps today ande pick up a half track, and a 41 staff car and whomever else shows up at the VFW hall this morning.
52 M38 Willy's

Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

It was a great show and the Air Force was more than gracious. Yesterday afternoon we were given vouchers to go to the base service station and fill up our vehicles before we left. I took on 30 gallons as did the half track. The 41 staff car only needed 7 gallons to fill him up but it was the first time we had been given fuel along with all of our meals, water and access to the flight crew briefing facilities. No porta pottys for us this time.
Thanks to Major Joe Stall and all the guys that felt that old WWII vehicles were just as important to history as the airplanes that flew in that conflict.
52 M38 Willy's