Bovington Tank Museum...Dorset UK

Historic Military Vehicle and Military Events of Interest World Wide.
UK Jack
Major
Major

Bovington Tank Museum...Dorset UK

Post by UK Jack »

Done
Last edited by UK Jack on Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.hmvf.co.uk
A forum for historic military vehicles - inspired by Bill & CCKW.org!!!

Nothing is permanent in life, except change.
UK Jack
Major
Major

Bovy 2................

Post by UK Jack »

Done
Last edited by UK Jack on Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.hmvf.co.uk

dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Nice museum that Bovington. I was there quite a few years ago and throughly enjoyed it!

Steve AKA Dr Deuce with over 50,000 miles in a CCKW
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

I don't know about the rest of you, but the but the juvenile Nazi impersonators frolicking and drinking with an improperly displayed Old Glory in full view on the CCKWs that are transporting them is a little much for this Veteran to take. I am sure it is a mistake, but it is not what my idea of playing soldier is all about. We have real American soldiers that are dying for that flag every day.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
UK Jack
Major
Major

Re:

Post by UK Jack »

joel gopan wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but the but the juvenile Nazi impersonators frolicking and drinking with an improperly displayed Old Glory in full view on the CCKWs that are transporting them is a little much for this Veteran to take. I am sure it is a mistake, but it is not what my idea of playing soldier is all about. We have real American soldiers that are dying for that flag every day.
Joel
Dear all.

The above has been brought to my attention and I thank you for that. I have removed all images that caused offensive. I removed them as to not upset any of you guys, I personally believe that the above statement is rather extreme and the images should be viewed in the context that there were taken in, no more, no less. The weekend was full of fun and more importantly, it was full of education. The public learnt a great deal about WW2 MV's, not just American MV's but also British and Commonwealth vehicles. The subject of WW2 is vast and it will continue to cause controversy way after we have all been and gone, and so it should, it means that we are thinking about and has a direct way of keeping the history alive.

The public (and I would include myself in this) were taught a massive amount of German WW2 history, is that a bad thing? Well no, of course not, we are starting to see through all of the propaganda of our childhood of 'how bad' the Germans were! It works both ways. With regards to "the juvenile Nazi impersonators frolicking and drinking with an improperly displayed Old Glory in full view on the CCKWs that are transporting them is a little much for this Veteran to take" if you take a closer look you will also see my children, British re enactors and also re enactors from the USAF 381st Bombardment Group. The convoy was both photographed by young and old a like (when I say old, I mean veterans). I am not sure how many people have attend military shows where there are many thousands of re enactors. You will see many many of the veterans talking and laughing with German re enactors - it brings back good memories as well you know...............just ask my grandfather.

And finally, as much as we all adore CCKW's, it must be remembered and we mustn't be naive here but that these were machines of war, nothing more, nothing less. War is unpleasant, period.

If any one would like to discuss it further then please PM me as it would be nice to keep the airwaves 'clear'

Best wishes.

Jack.
www.hmvf.co.uk