Alaska Convoy in 2012

Historic Military Vehicle and Military Events of Interest World Wide.
Cat Man
Major
Major

Alaska Convoy in 2012

Post by Cat Man »

2012 will mark the 70th anniversary of the building of the ALCAN military highway.

Based on the success of the 2009 transcontinental convoy, the MVPA will again sponsor a historic convoy in August 2012. This trip will drive historic military vehicles from Dawson Creek BC up the ALCAN route now the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks Alaska and return to Dawson. 3500 miles in four weeks.

There are already a dozen couples signed up to make the trip including Wendy and I, Not sure which vehicle we'll be driving yet.

Watch for more information soon. Now is the time to get ready! It will be a great adventure with fellow HMV owners.

First gear at 07:00 August 1, 2012. Be there!

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Cat Man
Major
Major

Re: Alaska Convoy in 2012

Post by Cat Man »

It's official and there is at least one CCKW signed up already!

MVPA Announces 2012 Alaska Highway Convoy

To celebrate the 70th anniversary of the building of the ALCAN military highway thru Canada and Alaska during WWII, the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA) will convoy our historic military vehicles on the famous Alaska Highway in August 2012.

All military vehicles from any era are welcome to join up. Drive all or part of the route. Make history again. 4 weeks. 3,046 miles. A once in a lifetime trip.

Look for more details in Supply Line Magazine, on the MVPA web site http://www.mvpa.org or contact Convoy Commander at 1-800-365-5798 or hq@mvpa.org. Look for the Alaska Convoy on Facebook too.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Canadian Gunner »

Hey Catman:

I was stationed up in Whitehorse for a while. You should consider modifying your route slightly, at Haines Junction turn for Haines and tour the Base there. Also consider Skagway... they'll fest you up proud and you may even be able to work out a deal with the White Pass railway to flatcar your vehs from Skagway to Whitehorse while you all enjoy not driving for a few hours! Staggering scenery!

An old buddy of mine, Brent Hougan lives in Whitehorse and has a restored MB. He knows where very scrapheap is along the Alaska Highway and where most HMVs are hiding. I bought my Universal Carrier in Haines Junction in 1981 and shipped it south in the bed of a 6 ton dump truck! There's another story!

Cheers! Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

Here's an update on the 2012 Alaska Convoy project.

We now have 30 HMV's signed up and paid. Vehicles and drivers coming from Belgium and Austrailia with vehicles!

We are preparing to promote collection convoys from various points thru out North America to get groups to Dawson Creek so you don't have to get there alone.

There are details on the MVPA web site at WWW.MVPA.org and click on the "convoys" tab.

IT's gonna be a great trip. Still plenty of time to join up.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

Hey Convoy Drivers,

Sounds like there are quite a few who are planning to drive the convoy but have not signed up yet. The Convoy team is working hard on were to stay, where to get fuel, Maintenance locations and forming collection convoys from all over the US and Canada.

IT would be a big help to sign up NOW so we have a count on people and vehicles. The large number of vehicles in the convoy will require us to let the fuel stations at our stopping points order ahead when they know we are coming. Same thing with Camping and Motel Spaces.

My wife and I and two other drivers are going to drive the route in May (2010) by motor home to recon the AC12 convoy route and the facilities. We really need to have a better count. Please contact the convoy comander thru the MVPA web site and get on the list if you have not done so.

Our WC21 is coming along. Engine transmission and transfer case are done and in. Working on axles and brakes now. It's going to be a great trip. See you in Dawson Creek!!!!

Cat Man AKA Jeff Rowsam Convoy XO
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

We have had to close the registrations for the 2012 Alaska Convoy following the MVPA convention in Dayton.

Convoy commander Terry Shelswell posted on the convoy Facebook Page

The response to this AC'12 Convoy project has been outstanding! We have about 80-85 MVs and their teams registered and paid! Add to this number the chase vehicles and ... well ... you can guess the length of our column.

To this end I am formally announcing that registration for this Convoy IS CLOSED as of today. I have issued a note to the short list of pre-registered folks to ask them to finalize... their registrations - if they intend to do so. There will NOT be a waiting list.

Thanks so much to all folks that have registered. A special thanks to the members of the AC'12 Core team for their great work so far and as we drive towards 4 Aug'12.

I look forward to seeing the entire AC'12 team in Dawson Creek.See More
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

Here is more information about how and why we reached the limit.

The Convoy planning team didn't anticipate a maximium size group. After we completed the RECON of the highway and route conditions, road turn out sizes and available fuel stops, camping and lodging facilities in May and June, it then became... clear that we would have to limit the group size. We posted on a number of sites encouraging people to complete the sign-up process as we saw the group size quickly reaching maximium. Everyone had a year of repeated postings and articles in the magazines to get signed up early before the bucket overflowed. Its simply the logistics of the situation. Sorry that there are some that didn't speak up, sign up and pay-up sooner. There just isn't engough room on the Alaska highway for any more vehicles in a group.

Thanks

Cat Man - Convoy XO
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

There are four CCKW's signed up to make the 4000 mile MVPA Alaska Highway convoy tour in August.

How cool is that.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

The MVPA 2012 Alaska Convoy is only a few weeks away.

There are THREE CCKW's on the roster and SIX Chevy G506 trucks that will make the entire trip. They will all be in the same March Unit. That should make for some great WWII truck pictures along the way.

I must confess that our CCKW dump truck is staying home and we are driving our 1/2 Ton Dodge WC21 for the whole trip. 8000 Miles by the time we return.

Only the wimpy jeep guys are trailering their rides to the start of the convoy in Dawson Creek BC. Real men drive their trucks.

Cat Man - Convoy Volunteer / Exec Officer
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

The collection convoys will start to roll north in just a few days.

Here is what the final roll call looks like.

You can follow the convoy on the MVPA web site at http://WWW.MVPA.org

There will be travel blogs and photo's posted by the drivers when we can connect.

Cat Man - Convoy XO
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day