Chevrolet 216 (tractor)

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
Jendrass
Draftee

Chevrolet 216 (tractor)

Post by Jendrass »

Hi All !
My name is Jędrzej, I`m a Polish motorization historian, I happy that I found this forum.
In our military archive I found some information about Chevrolet factory which was placed in Warsaw in mid 30ties. The factory produced various models of Chevrolet trucks models like 155 COE, 157, 158. They also offered our military the tractor called "Chevrolet 216/GMC 216". I can`t find any picture of this truck/tractor.
The "216" had very good technical parameters and it was really close to set it as one of Polish Army artillery tractors.
Can You help me ? All best from Poland.

Here are some photos from the factory adverts and truck service in PL

retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Re: Chevrolet 216 (tractor)

Post by retro-roco »

Jendrass wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:35 pm
Here are some photos from the factory adverts and truck service in PL

This picture is what is commonly referred to in the United States as a "tractor" or "semi-tractor". This means it was outfitted to tow a trailer.

I suspect that the 216 designation describes the engine displacement or 216 cu. in. These trucks had a straight or in-line 6 motor, including 216, 235, 261 or 292 cu.in.The amount of displacement is typically proportional to the power of the engine. The 216 would be the least powerful, while the 292 would be the most powerful.
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
Jendrass
Draftee

Post by Jendrass »

Thanks for an answer!
So, the "216" is a rather type o engine, not a specific kind of truck ?

The "Chevrolet 216/GMC 216" which I mentioned was introduced in Poland as a 4x4 truck-tractor. I assume that this kind of truck/tractor should have the 2x4/4x4 swichting box and two drive shafts should be visible on photos (each for an axle).
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Motto »

The trucks shown in the photographs appear to me to be 4x2 configuration with 'I' beam front axles. The front hubs on the semi trailer prime mover look very much like those used on the Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x2 truck models 4403 and 4409. These hubs were mounted on cup and cone ball bearings similar in construction to those in a bicycle wheel and had a pressed steel screw in cover that sits in a depression. I'm quite sure that is what the photos show.
The Cab Over Engine cargo truck has a different front hub that features a flat cover plate not unlike what was used on the GMC CCW 6x4, 2-1/2 ton (5 ton) truck. This will be a heavier axle with tapered roller or barrel roller bearings.

David