Jimmy is Home....

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
MikeP
Private

Jimmy is Home....

Post by MikeP »

I bought "rgus" cckw 353 this last wednesday. Drove is home 180 miles in 90 plus heat and it didnt miss a beat. I learned the double clutch along the way. Shifting up was ok but shifting down, well I still dont know how to do it without grinding a pound. If anyone could give me some helpful tips that would be great. :D I will be needing some parts. Horn, cargo fuel tank, battery box, a straight front bumper. troop racks, spare tire rack. If anyone has some of these parts or knows a good vendor. please let me know. thanks.
Mike Perry
LaPorte, Indiana
42 CCKW 353 cargo
XM211
M135
apsco@csinet.net
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

I have Battery Box Covers coming (overdue). Most tend to over rev and rush the downshift, or panic when it sort of sticks. It takes me about ten miles at the first of each season to get downshift, but I do get it and can down shift almost flawlessly. No one drives my truck-even God. I have all NOD internal parts in mine. The first quarter mile is usually easy when truck is cold, but after 90 oil gets hot, and shifting is for the experienced.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Double clutching on a Jimmy is very easy compared to a Chev, Dodge or Ford. The Clark 5 constant mesh speed is much more forgiving then tose others.

You can tell a Jimmy driver because they give it gas (like down shifting) when going into 5th.

The temp outside, the engine temp, the oil temp, the tranny oil temp, the chole setting all affect how the double-clutching works. With practice you will get it. It is not difficult.

Happy driving
Steve AKA Dr Deuce
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Good luck and I wish you well. Contact Vehicles of Victory to see what he has as far as the parts yo need. He has some NOS stuff and take off stuff also.
Jim
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
UK Jack
Major
Major

Post by UK Jack »

Well done! Another happy owner :wink:

They do take some getting use to and I drove a GMC for the 1st time about a month ago as I had just bought it so it was pretty much a crash course :shock:

I have been lucky as in the passed I have driven many strange things on the farm so I had a rough idea what to expect but one thing that sticks in my mind is something that Jess ( my son) said to me the other day.........'Dad, could we drive through that hedge again' :shock:, you have to bear in mind that roads where I live are only just a bit wider than my GMC and you have to take into account the turning circle on a jimmy on our small and tight lanes!!
www.hmvf.co.uk
A forum for historic military vehicles - inspired by Bill & CCKW.org!!!

Nothing is permanent in life, except change.
bobc
Captain
Captain

UK Jack sounds fun

Post by bobc »

Up till two years ago I had 10 acres to play on,it was covered in tall sage brush 4-6 feet high,the ground underneath was mostly flat,late at night we would take the M-37 out put the windshield down and thrash,it was great fun and my daughter loved it,once I get the open cab CCKW going I'll have to find a new thrashing ground,I taught my wife how to drive a stick shift in it,there was nothing to hurt but brush.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck