Radio Truck_Jeep_Rover Joe_stuff

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
Ed KG6UTS
Draftee

Radio Truck_Jeep_Rover Joe_stuff

Post by Ed KG6UTS »

Hello GMC Guys!
My question isn't exactly about WWII trucks but is related. I worked on a K53E radio van years ago. It still had the BC-325 transmitter but other equipment was added to make it a portable aircraft control vehicle. The SCR-522 or 542 was replaced with an ARC-1 for VHF, an ARC-27 added for UHF, and an ARC-2 as a second HF set. The attached .jpg is a similar vehicle. We just called it "the MRC van". Though the radio truck was WWII or Korean vintage we went through the truck, radios, spares, and support equipment so it could be sent to Vietnam, this was 1965 or '66.
Not the truck radio but related I've collected about 98% of an SCR-624 radio set used an air/ground control in WWII/Korea. The missing parts include the laminated wooden masts and rigging gear. The rigging gear can be made up from the drawings but I wonder if anyone has an example mast.

Oh...I do have two GMC trucks, '64 and '65 3/4 ton 305E pickups
Thanks!
EdZ KG6UTS
http://www.mrcgwest.org/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4122aaf
Draftee

Re: Radio Truck_Jeep_Rover Joe_stuff

Post by 4122aaf »

I just put a post online about the K-53 radio vans that my father was in charge of in Italy during the war. The 60-70 ft antenna mast were something else from what I understand. Don't know if you needed old photos or not, but here are a few examples.