hood number/build date corrolation?

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
bobc
Captain
Captain

hood number/build date corrolation?

Post by bobc »

I know on other vehicles,like the half-track some one has found a way to corrolate hood number and serial numbers with build dates, if you have two they can get pretty close with the third. Has anybody had any luck doing this with the CCKW? The two early trucks that I have at my place never left the country, never been restored and I have a pretty good civilian history on them, both were purchased from the military by the families that I bought them from, and neither received much butchering, so I'm fairly sure that the data plates and hood numbers should match, but it would be interesting to see if there is a data base out there to check with.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
Cat Man
Major
Major

Re: hood number/build date corrolation?

Post by Cat Man »

Check the Data Base tab here on the CCKW site. It's not huge but may help you.

The early trucks have some data in the publication GMC Trucks at War. This is a reprint of the SNL 6-655 catalog. It has contract numbers, models, and the year with groups of USA registration numbers. Available from Portrayal Press.

Brice Sunderlund in Michigan was collecting data for years on the CCKW's. I don't think he ever published it. I spoke with him at the MVPA convention last summer. He is now retired and lives in Michigan. No e mail but you can write him by US Mail. His address is in the MVPA directory.

David Doyle has also recently gotten some access to some CCKW records while doing research for an upcoming book on CCKW. This is not the recent photo book "CCKW Walk Around". But is supposed to be THE hardcover CCKW book we have been waiting for. Watch for that to have more data when he gets it finished and published.

At best you may get lucky with a combination of those sources. At worst, keep your detective hat on and keep looking at hoods and data plates when you find them. Even on a junk farm truck that you can't buy. Please write down the numbers and send them here to add to our data base. Every bit helps.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day