OPEN CAB/CLOSED CAB

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

OPEN CAB/CLOSED CAB

Post by joel gopan »

Have you Open Cab Drivers noticed the difference when you are seated in the truck when compared with the Closed Cab? Do you feel like a midget? Apparently ergonomics was not a consideration in the Open Cab. I use a cushion from a M-116 to set on top of the CCKW cushion. I also cheated on the seat bottoms,I cut some 5/8" plywood to shape, and sent them to Mike Sinkovic. He made up OD Covers, cut some high density 4" foam for cushions, and stapled them to the plywood. I stored the original seat bottoms away for safe keeping. I like the feel of the total original vehicle, but in the interest of safety, I want to be able to look out for children and animals in parades. This is my sacrifice to "factory stock".
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
bobc
Captain
Captain

open cab

Post by bobc »

I haven't had a chance to drive my open cab but I'm 6'2" and have horrible time fitting in jeeps and other lesser vehicles,all my seat cushions are gone so I plan on making a set out of plywood like you did,I was watching that seat back that sold on ebay not long ago but it didn't look wide enough,so I backed out,do the originals have a plywood backing or are they just a horse hair pad? The thing I like about the open cab is that it is easier to put a gun ring on it.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

The bottoms had springs and a little stuffing, but even with NOS Cushions they were not comfortable. They were about 2" thick. It is a lot easier on the ass with plywood and 4" thick high density foam.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I agree with the 4" foam stuff. The funny thing to me is the fact that this pot belly does not fit any better in the cab of a big truck than it did in a jeep. To me the cab appears a lot bigger than it really is in an open cab. I have never driven a closed cab CCKW, but I used to drive my grandfathers 1948 Chevorlet 2 ton truck and I would assume that would be very close, and there appeared to be a lot more room, but then on the other hand i was a lot smaller then. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
bobc
Captain
Captain

open cab VS closed cab

Post by bobc »

I finally had a chance to drive my open cab,I got it running and pulled it out of it hole where it has been sitting for 15 years. I definetly fit better in the open cab then the closed,but it is easier to get out of the closed cab.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
Brent Delaney
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Brent Delaney »

We use plywood base and high density foam for our open cab seats,
just can't forget to put them away when it rains :roll:
Also as you grew up the truck gets smaller :P

Cheers,

Brent Delaney.