door stars?

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
bobc
Captain
Captain

door stars?

Post by bobc »

I've been getting the 41 352 closed cab ready for it's yard work duty, today I gave it an Earl Schibe paint job, water base house paint, it's cheap and so much easier to clean up after, the paint on my half-track is 5 years old and doing really well, I know this truck had a huge roof star, actually two, one point forward the other point backwards, but I couldn't see any trace of door stars, it seems like this was hit or miss,I've dug through some of my books and it seems like all the trucks in europe had stars on the doors, but yet none of the trucks in crismon's book have stars, did they not get door stars till the hit the theater? The stars make them look a lot more military and this isn't going to be a show truck but I was wondering, I plan on putting the hood number back on in drab blue, since I have a can left over from the half-track project, any thoughts? Thanks Bob.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: door stars?

Post by Karoshi »

Bob a quick visit to FM850-5 (August 5th 1942) will tell you all you need to know. It even has a nice display of line drawings to help with placement of the "international symbol" i.e.the star.

FM850-5 details arrangements for markings in Active Theatres, but adds over-riders for administrative units and camouflage.

it quotes:

A white five-pointed star will be the national symbol of all motor vehicles assigned to tactical units. Administrative motor vehicles operating in an active theatre of operations will be similarly marked, when directed by the theatre commander.

Whenever requirements for camouflage and concealment outweigh the requirements for recognition, the national symbol may be covered by lusterless olive-drab gasoline solvent paint, camouflage nets, oil and dirt etc, or will be removed.

Another can of worms then. For what time period, location and service are you marking your for ?

Hope this helps