LPG conversion.

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

LPG conversion.

Post by Karoshi »

Does anybody have experience of converting the 270 engine to run on LPG ? I've been offered a kit at a price I can't refuse. With LPG at half the cost of petrol its very tempting, and the whole system is a nut & bolt job. So no long term problems when wanting to convert back.

Any thoughts?

Karoshi
Sgtfenne
Private

Post by Sgtfenne »

I'm still restoring my CCKW 352, but when it's finished I'll put a LPG installation in it. I have no experience with it yet, but I know from others who have, that it will run perfect on LPG. You only have to change the settings of the valves a little bit looser because of the higher temperature of the exploding gasses.
Gordon_M
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Simon Bromley does.....

Post by Gordon_M »

My pal Simon, who was General Secretary of the MVT or something like that, had done exactly that with one of his CCKWs in Blackburn, Lancashire, basically as an experiment before fitting it on his DUKW I think

You can get Simon's address from any MVT publication, or try this e-mail;

simon@bromleyfive.fsnet.co.uk

Gordon
Gordon from Scotland
Minnie
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: LPG conversion.

Post by Minnie »

Despite I have engineer degre in Internalcombustion engines...
In my stupidity i wonder what LPG is ?? Is it a short term for Unleaded fuel or something...

I'm asking this , because I have a CCKW 353 B1 with incrased compression ratio (Incraesed to 8,5 when iI rebuildt my engine some 10.000 miles ago) Running on 95 okctane unleaded with a samll dash of Shell Millenium aditive -No probl....

(I'm a Norwegian, may be that is why the Expression LPG is unknown to me...)
S Holtan

'45 CCKW53 B1, 1619, "minnie"
Gordon_M
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Liquified Petroleum Gas

Post by Gordon_M »

It's a tax thing Minnie, you know how petrol / gasoline is just about the same price in Norway and the UK, and that's several times as high as it is in the US.

LPG is an alternative fuel with a much lower tax rate (here in the UK at least) so it is worth putting a pressurised fuel tank in something like a GMC which does use fuel...
My CCKW workshop came from oslofjord, and I saw some nice ones sitting at Stale Teigen's too in Skotselv

Gordon
Gordon from Scotland
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Minnie, LPG is Liquified Petroleum Gas. Try here for full details :

http://www.greenfuel.org.uk/lpg/.

and thanks to you other guys for the input.

Karoshi
Minnie
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re:

Post by Minnie »

Hello

Thank's for informative information.
It's nice that we, the dedicated CCKW owners, can have our own forum.

Forum admin, Keep up the good work !!

Minnie
S Holtan

'45 CCKW53 B1, 1619, "minnie"
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

LPG conversion

Post by arthur.m »

Hello to everyone,

the petrol price being what is it here in Europe (and Finland), the LPG conversion sound s very interesting. Is there a place in Continental Europe where the kit could be purchased? I hear they have many elderly Volvos and other cars running on gas in the Netherlands, maybe that's the place to ask.

My '44 cckw tipper (I guess it's a '44, the chassis number is 396480) also comes from Norway: beautiful country, affordable GMC trucks!

Arthur
cckw L2 Dump Truck, cckw shop van, BSA foldable bicycle
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Hello Arthur, yes there are several LPG conversion kits available. They are made up to suite the size of engine rather than a specific engine. In the UK the conversion kit is about £450, but the gas storage tank is extra, £100 - £200, depending on size.

You should be able to find something on Google or I can post some UK suppliers here for you.

Karoshi
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

LPG conversions

Post by arthur.m »

Thanks Karoshi for the price information, I'll have to calculate the whole project carefully and find out if LPG is available locally. I know that somebody' s is driving here on some kind of gas produced from cow manure...

Arthur
cckw L2 Dump Truck, cckw shop van, BSA foldable bicycle
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

LPG Kits

Post by Karoshi »

One link you may like to try is:

http://www.lpgkitdirect.co.uk/

it will give you a good idea of whats required with costings.

Karoshi
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Will the conversion be cost effective, how long will take to realize that saving? I have had vehicles that were converted to propane, and the fill stations charge the Highway use taxes. In the US there are federal regulations pertaining to the LPG Fuel tank for safety reasons, the tanks used for household, camping, and forklift fuel do not qualify, and are not legal for highway use. I would imagine that overseas there would be similar requirements. A gallon of propane yields less BTUs than a gallon of gasoline, and natural gas yields even less. The plus side is that engines run on LPG give off less harmfull emissions, and motor oil stays cleaner.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Corne Lauwerijssen
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Corne Lauwerijssen »

Hi guys

Its correct that a lot of vehicles overhere (Netherlands) run on LPG.
Its very cheap compared with Gasoline. Iam also considering
to install a LPG installation in my CCKW. I pay 200 euros/250dollar
for a full tank gasoline overhere :cry: . 150 liters LPG should cost around
75 euro/100dollar. You see the difference?! :? :shock:

A LPG installation for the CCKW should cost around 1500euros/2000dollar overhere and then I get a new in US made installation and installed for
the same price.

Corné