TOOL STOWAGE

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
ERB72
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

TOOL STOWAGE

Post by ERB72 »

Hello All,Can any one help with some photos showing the tool stowage BRACKETS as fitted to the side steps :? I also need to be sure how the pick/matock head is stowed in its brackets as I may even have the "wrong" head trying to fit into the right brackets :? any help appreciated..Thanks again Erb
Cat Man
Major
Major

Re: TOOL STOWAGE

Post by Cat Man »

Hello Erb,

The pioneer tool storage brackets on the running boards are hard to photograph without removing the Gas and Water cans. Here are two photo's and an illustration from an engineer handtool manual that explains the difference between a Mattock and a Pick (two different tools).

The late CCKW TM 9-801 manual has the same illustrations. The correct tool for the CCKW is a Mattock with the flat blade like an adz on one end. The bracket to secure it is a wide flat horizontal piece at the forward end of the running board behind the gas can bracket. The pick will not fit and is not the correct tool. The military part number on the Mattock is 41-M-720. The "M" indicating "Mattock" and not "P" for "Pick".

The straps can be either leather or webbing. The bracket in the center that secures the pointed end of the Mattock has a small "L" shaped rod, threaded on one leg and is sucured tight with a special wing nut that has only a single "wing". The one shown here is not correct. (Not Mine) A standard hardware wing nut like the one shown with twin wings work OK but it should have the correct single one. They are the same for the two hold downs on the battery box.

I can get some better detail photos from my truck if you need more detail.

I like this arrangment better that the later addition of the universal bracket on the hood side panel.

Be a good trooper and tell the lads that it is a "Mattock" and not a "Pick"

Cheers

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
ERB72
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ERB72 »

CAT MAN. I thank you , That really helps it appears I have the correct brackets except for the "L" shaped bar with the threaded end and wing nut,which I do not have. The matock head that I have " looks " correct but dosnt have the serial number detail that you gave me,It is marked "WARWOOD 5 " :?: So I dont think it is correct but I cannot be certain until I obtain one of those "L" shaped bars that secure the head, as the flat end of the matock fits snugly into the bracket behind the fuel can holder. If you could post a photo of the Matock mountings and the "L" and wing nut I will know what to look for or try to make as I do not have the correct wing nuts on the battery cover either!!! .But thank you again the photos really have helped asthe images in the TM 901 are not very good for the detail .....Regards Erb
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Cat Man,

In your travels have you ever seen a wingnut large enough to pass as the original. Fastenal or Graingers.

I am thinking buying one and cutting one wing off. This issue I have is I have never found a nut with wings large enough in new stock.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

Bill,

I have not seen any original wing nuts in a long time. When I find a CCKW in a junk yard or gravel pit, I always try to dig around in the junk in the glove box and under the seats. I have found a wing nut or two that way.

No I have never found a wing nut that would pass if cut down. I did check Fastenal and they have some large ones. You would have to weld up the larger opening and drill and tap the hole to 5/16 Inch.

Here is a better photo of the wing nuts and how they look on the battery box. Standard current hardware on the left, WWII ammo box lid nut in the center, and original CCKW on the right. The rule shows the overall height of the correct nut at just about 1 1/2 inch.

I've been told that original one leg nuts were easy to loose and ammo box wing nuts were the same thread size and easy to get. Makes a good story if you can put those on for bait and wait for some purest to tell you they are "wrong".

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

Erb,

Here are some better photos of the tool storage brackets. I forgot to tell you that a civilian Mattock blade is sometimes wider that the GI one and has to be ground off a bit on each side to fit or modify the bracket slightly wider.

(Looks like I have some rust issues starting that need some attention with a paint brush! It never ends)

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
Still Learning Every Day
R Cubed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by R Cubed »

Wow .......

Have had these brackets on the running boards of my 352 with the shovel and axe but did not know about the mattock the one I thought was original does not fit where it should go, it has a flat blade like an adds or the mattock bit bit the other end there is a axe type blade not a pick ?? still a very useful tool though..

Could Cat Man post a few very close up pics of the original one wing wing nuts, I suppose they are a cast type or forged ?
Don't say can't as anything is possible with time and effort.

1941 CCKW352B1
GP Medium tent
105 M2-A1 Howitzer
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Post by retro-roco »

Hey all,

I received word from an acquaintance that he has some NOS lopsided wing nuts available. I asked about 20-30 of them and he said 30 would be no problem. He didn't offer a price yet, but as they are from overseas, I thought a group buy was in order to save him having to send 20 or 30 separate packages. as soon as I hear back from him, I'll post the info. a couple of you have already indicated an interest in several. I don't think I'll have any trouble moving 30 of them pretty quickly!
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
R Cubed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by R Cubed »

Mmmmmmmmm very interested in them, if they are the right ones, but depends on the price as always !!!!!!!
Don't say can't as anything is possible with time and effort.

1941 CCKW352B1
GP Medium tent
105 M2-A1 Howitzer
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

"Rust NEVER rests..."
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
ERB72
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ERB72 »

Hello Retro, Did you get any joy with the proposed group purchase of those wing nuts ? I would sure like to get in the queue, if at all possible. Regards Erb