Dump Truck w/o winch, was it built for a special purpose?

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Dump Truck w/o winch, was it built for a special purpose?

Post by arthur.m »

Just got this one from Norway. It's chassis # 416231L2, would that make it a late 1944 truck? Has a Ordnance depot Waiblingen rebuild tag from 1952, so maybe it was a ETO truck. Can somebody please tell me something about these winchless Dumps, why and how many were built?

Arthur
cckw L2 Dump Truck, cckw shop van, BSA foldable bicycle
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

I m sure one of the other members will fill in the figures on production ,not all Dump truck's had winches , and would have been a general purpose vehicle as most GMC's were , as troop transport or cargo as well as bulk building material as in debris , gravel and the rest . Your GMC looks pretty good do you have other photo's of the rest of it that you could post . Is the hoist a Gar wood or a Heil ?
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

I actually don't know the make of the hoist, I'll have to have a look. The hinges have HERCULES cast in them. The truck looks complete and ready-to-go, but the cab has some rot and lots of patches and it needs mechanical work, too. It spent 39 years with the Norwegian army, 1954-1993! USA number on the rebuild tag is 4724973. I'll try to post a few more pics.
Arthur
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

The two hoists are very distinctive the Heil hoist uses a set of lifting links connected to a lifting lever assembly or cross shaft , the Gar Wood has a more direct connection from the end of the hydraulic cylinder to triangular bracket attached to the dump body and I think is the only one with a safety chain.

My CCKW serial number is 488*** h1 making mine an early 45 it has a Gar Wood hoist and winch
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

A nice piece of stencilling I found under a couple layers of paint. Applied to both sides of cargo bed just over tank/spare wheel.
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

Yes very true and is to be followed if you do use the dump body hoist . Mine did not have that stencil at least not visible on the final coat of paint presently.Not sure if I will find it when the truck is stripped for repainting but I will look out for it and will make sure its marked properly on repaint .Thank You for sharing.
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

L2, rear wiev. The truck is loaded with what remains of a shop van scrapped in Norway, front and rear axles. Can't try out the hoist before these rather heavy items have found a new home!
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

I agree about needed to unload or make sure the heavy stuff is away from the cab end of the dump body before the hoist is used , the reason for the partition is that there is no hoist frame under or after the partition .
I m sure you have a GarWood hoist I can tell from the rear dump body hinges.I see you have the correct or very close to correct rear light mounting brackets. I have only a few period photo's taken from a distance that show them at all.
Also while the cargo truck had rear mud flaps of different types as in solid ribbed panels or strips held together with canvas strips the Dump truck never had any.
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

Thank You abn, for Your comments, I'm sure it's a GarWood. I don't know if the authorities demand mud flaps in case I would like to have the vehicle registred, maybe I'll have to make a set of the flexible type. Is Your truck a European return? Any chance Norway?
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

Yes its a European return but not from Norway , I purchased it in the Netherlands in 1990 , it had been in use and storage by the military there then sold straight to a surplus dealer.While not having rear mud flaps it does have the modification of a baffle or shield between the second and third axles and enlarged mounts for the tail lights and licence plate.
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Dump truck

Post by retro-roco »

Are those type of stake pockets typical of CCKW dump bodies? It's interesting how they are just a top and bottom strap, rather than a single piece pocket...
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Dump truck

Post by Bill_Wolf »

retro-roco wrote:Are those type of stake pockets typical of CCKW dump bodies? It's interesting how they are just a top and bottom strap, rather than a single piece pocket...
I have seen "tippers" with pockets both ways. Below is a picture of a clapped out tipper in NJ that I looked at several years ago. From the inspection it certainly looked original and except for the rust was not all beat up

Bill

1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

as far as I know the Dump body has only the strap top and bottom
diffcult to see in the photo of mine but its the same as Arthur m. has
Image[/img]
Cat Man
Major
Major

Dump Truck Body

Post by Cat Man »

Hello Arthur,

You certainly have a mystery truck. I've been studying these engineer trucks for a long time. The one I have is a Dutch surplus one.

A couple of comments and questions.

The factory installed cargo/dump bed for the dump trucks were all steel.
They can be recognized by the TWO upright reinforcments between the upper and lower sills. The supports for the troop seats are open brackets top and bottom.

You can always identify a CCKW dump truck in photos when the troop seats and bows are removed, because the side of the bed then has THREE flat rectangles down the side. The standard cargo bed has three enclosed upright reinforcements that give the side view FOUR rectangular sections.

I think because your bed does not have the TWO vertical uprights along the side, it is a postwar manufactured component.

The dump truck serial number should end with "H1" or "H2". Someone help me here. There is no "L" designation in any of my reference books. Could that "L" really be an "H"? Or was there a post war rebuild change of configuration that was indetified with an "L" on the data tag?

We never like to speak in absolutes when there were so many configurations and so many rebuilds that mixed and matched major components.

I and others have said previously that "all" the original unmodified CCKW dump trucks we have inspected were and are Split Axle and equipped with winch types. We note that your truck has Banjo axles.

A note about not having rigid or flexable mud flaps on dump trucks. The reason dump trucks to not have them at the rear is in how the truck is used. It is very common to back up into a pile of material dumped previously and then dumping the load from the next truck. To do this bends a rigid flap into the rear tires and damages the tire or in the case of a flexable flap, it will be torn from its mountings and lost in the first three or four loads dumped. (I spent my college summers in the cabs of dump trucks and have torn off numerous sets of mud flaps that were tried)

A non winch dump truck would have to have a PTO with a single output facing to the rear or a dual output with the forward facing output unused.
What is the configuration of the PTO on the transmission and the openings in the cab floor for the levers?

In my collection, I have photos of US Navy CB's operating both closed and open cab SWB CCKW dump trucks that do not have winches in the Pacific in 1943. But I think your truck is a postwar rebuild with mixed components.

It is a nice one and I love it. Very unusual but very hard to document. We would love to see to more detail photos.

Cheers

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

Hello Cat Man, thank you for Your comments,

I will post more pictures later, here a few comments.
The truck really is an L2 (chassis stamped number and rebuild plate), I either haven't found this type anywhere in the books, however the very comprehensive Norwegian parts book (2 parts, 941 pages) does know the type L1 with production runs chassis No. 207366 through 207633 and 219489 through 219720 (Anthony) and 220021 through 220520 (Heil). I would like to think the bed is US made from 1944/45 but I really don't know how to prove it. It has a riveted builders plate but it's so rotted that it's unreadible. It is of the type where all the lettering is stamped into the metal, not etched. We'll se a picture later. I will post a picture of the PTO, too. It seems to be a mystery truck, it's all very intresting.
Arthur
Cat Man
Major
Major

Mytery Truck

Post by Cat Man »

How Very Interesting,

I want to learn more.

Thanks

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

The pto is a "Chelsea Power Take Off" mated to Warner gear box. While under the truck, I noticed that the steering box is a US Forces Japan rebuild from 1961. Truck was in Norway 1954-, so they got some spares from Japan.
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

At least this part bolted to the bed is US made. Betlehem Steel? More pictures to come, time is very limited right now. Arthur
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

So here's the bed plate. Nothing much to read there, really. "For D?..." and left bottom corner maybe "Nomenclature". On the left a Stimsonite reflector. Every boilersmith could be proud of those rivets holding that sad tag.
It would be interesting to see a picture of a L1 cargo bed and compare these two. No L1 in an museum?
Arthur
David Robertson
Draftee

Re: Dump Truck w/o winch, was it built for a special purpose?

Post by David Robertson »

Hi, just now on Milweb are 2 Dump trucks for sale from Maurice Kloc both with the same body modifications as the Norwegian Dump truck. I would like to see some more pic's of ABN's Airborne as i also have an ex Dutch Airborne Dump Truck, regards David Robertson.