air-portable question

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
DDoyle
Private First Class
Private First Class

air-portable question

Post by DDoyle »

I am supposing - but it is just that - supposing - that the troop seats and side boards on the air-portable trucks were "seamed" like the floor of the truck.

Does anyone know with certainty how this was done? Got photos?

Figured if I ask now, I won' be (too) ridiculed when the book comes out.

Thanks in advance.

David Doyle
Last edited by DDoyle on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

David,

On my Norwegian return the left side was not "seamed". The backrest on the right side boards were split at the seam. The seat boards were not.

When rebuilding this summer the "seamed" boards were rotted the worst so I assume they were original. I replaced them with full length boards from a salvaged seat of troop seats.

In the museum at Overloon Netherlands they have a dismantled Air-portable. In the pictures I took there no troop seats were provided.

John Cliche may know the definitive answer to this question.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
Cat Man
Major
Major

Airborne CCKW

Post by Cat Man »

DD,

The question of air moble transport of CCKW's is interesting. There are really two types of CCKW dump trucks that were modified.

Both are detailed in a RARE War Dept Technical Bulletin TB ENG 33A titled "Disassembly and Loading of standard Engineer Equipment for Transport in C-47 Cargo Plane" 22 July 1944.

The first method was to disassemble a standard CCKW dump truck and torch cut the dump box lenght wise. The charts indicate three plane loads were required per truck. The D&A including cutting and welding the dump bed is listed at 78 Man Hours and the component loads do not show the troop seats as part of any of the three plane loads. Indicating the troop seats were likely not considered a requirement and were not included.

The second method is detailed for a truck previously modified with a "Bolted butt-joint in the frame" This is the "Air Portable" truck collectors love. It is also split into three plane loads. Front half and rear half. And the cargo bed is cut across the center making a two piece cargo bed. This method reduced the man hours to only 39 or almost half the unmodified method.

As you can see in the scan, Items E are the troop seats and are shown as 144" long and 260 Lbs. That would be full lenght. They are also seen in the illustration, layed over the two sections of the bed.

If the post war trucks have two piece troop seats, I think it is a post war modification of the WWII US loading plan.

By the way, cutting and stuffing a Cat D7 with Dozer takes 8 plane loads and requires 231 man hours!!

How's that?

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

If I remember correctly, one noter in here has the C47 manual for this operation. If the plane got over xx degrees in a bank (not too much), get out your Rosary Beads. You were going down!
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

on my airportable that I purchased in the Netherlands neither the troop seat's back or bottom were cut .

I do have a photo copy of TB 9X-74
Procedure for Disassembly and Stowage of GMC 2 1/2-ton,6x6,Airborne Trucks .
dated 27 MAY 1944
the discription of the test flight by the pilot say's that " Care had to be exercised in banks and turns in flight one because of the trucks main chassis c/g being located above the window line.This gave the aircraft a tendency to continue to turn about its longitudinal axis.Turns in excess of 15 degrees bank are not advised"

of the troop seats , they discribe them as (2) lazy backs
the illustrations for the lwb cckw 353 show them as one piece assemblies as the cut point would be several inches forward of the third upright and would leave the split unsupported