Shop Body Questions (1/35th Scale)

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
taylornic
Draftee

Shop Body Questions (1/35th Scale)

Post by taylornic »

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a shop van conversion kit and I need some info.
I am including 2 links to built kit. I was hoping to get the actual version of the body identified. I think it might be an automobile service shop but I'm not sure. Could you please look over the build pictures and let me know what is right and not right with the kit body?

Anything that I should add or remove from the kit to make it more accurate would be appreciated. I'm most curious about the antenna mount on the rear, and the square indention in the front. Is that actually supposed to be a window? The kit includes a mesh screen to put in the indention, the same as the side window screens.

I would certainly appreciate all help you could give me here!
Thanks,
Taylor

Shop Build 1
Shop Build 2
KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

Hi Taylor
Great model :D :D you have put alot of time and effort in it, the only thing i would say is yes the indentation on the front of the van was a window which was non opening with mesh covering, i have not seen any with antenna mounts but im sure there were....
The only addition i would make would be square blocks of wood bolted to the rear bumperettes, this was that if the truck broke down or needed to be pushed the doors would not get damaged in the process...
hope this is of some help ......
when you log onto the site look at the owners trucks.... mine is the one on omaha beach
kevin
1941 GMC 352 A1 Cargo 29595
1942 GMC 353 F2 Workshop 102620 ST6 Type M18 Electrical Repair
1942 GMC 353 B2 Cargo
1942 Ben Hur 1ton Wooden Cargo Trailer
1942 Chevrolet G506 G7113 Tractor 1NK 245837
1944 5ton The Trailer Company of America, Stake and Platform Semi Trailer
1943 Dodge WC63 6x6 82035401
194? Diamond T 968a 968A7471
PFC 514th Q.M T.C We Deliver Everything, Except Babies
taylornic
Draftee

Post by taylornic »

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for the info! I want to be clear, the finished models are not mine. I am just starting my kit now. I used those pictures of the finished model as reference.

I wanted some of you here to look at the kit so I can figure how accurate it is and what changes I need to make as I build mine.

The kit was patterned from a postwar Foreign service vehicle, and I think it included some non-original modifications that I would like to correct.

Seems as if I need to open up the window indention in the front and add glass to it?

The kit comes with a reference CD but again, I think the vehicle has been modified in some areas. I will attempt to post a picture of the reference vehicles interior, looking forward. It seems that there has been something added to the interior front wall that would block a window opening.

KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

hi taylor good luck with your model building :) :) the picture that you have supplied shows the bulkhead but this has been changed post war by the swiss army. this is not war spec :(
1941 GMC 352 A1 Cargo 29595
1942 GMC 353 F2 Workshop 102620 ST6 Type M18 Electrical Repair
1942 GMC 353 B2 Cargo
1942 Ben Hur 1ton Wooden Cargo Trailer
1942 Chevrolet G506 G7113 Tractor 1NK 245837
1944 5ton The Trailer Company of America, Stake and Platform Semi Trailer
1943 Dodge WC63 6x6 82035401
194? Diamond T 968a 968A7471
PFC 514th Q.M T.C We Deliver Everything, Except Babies
Nick Bombini
Captain
Captain

Post by Nick Bombini »

Here are a few photos that may help you. This a a pretty original truck to use as a reference.

In the above image, the hanging shelves are unoriginal, this truck was used for storage after the war.

If you want all of the pics I took of this truck, click on the link below. The file is over 150mb so it may take awhile.
http://home.comcast.net/~nickbombini/sh ... ptruck.zip

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
taylornic
Draftee

Post by taylornic »

Thanks Kevin and Nick!

Well, I have saved a lot of pics from the Internet. It seems most vans are modified and it is hard for me to tell what is correct and what is not. I have a few final questions and I will get to work to finish up the kit.

1. Did all original vans have the louvers on the left side above the first window? The pics I have where no louvers are present seem to have a possible patch panel covering the area where the louvers would have been.

2. Are there details missing within the red circles in the pic of the kit below? Did all vans have the missing details?

3. In the black circle below, there are the 3 access doors, 2 on the side panel and 1 on the front panel. Are they original?

If I can figure out what van the kit is supposed to be, I can modify it correctly.
Thanks Again,
Taylor

mick.wilson
Captain
Captain

Post by mick.wilson »

This page is from the manual, if it's any good to you.
Some more photos of our Workshop before we converted it.
http://514th.co.uk/english/site.php?use ... topic&t=31

Mick

ImageImageImage

514th Q.M T.C We deliver everything, except babies