CCKW hood number question.

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
M2WHITE
Draftee

CCKW hood number question.

Post by M2WHITE »

Hello, all!

Can anyone tell me what is the logic with CCKW hood numbers. I just found my truck's hood number under layers of paint, it's 4685886. I know all halftracks have their hoodnumbers starting with 40, but it seems CCKW's only have one solid number,4. Is it possible that two first numbers are determined by the frame number, because my truck's frame number is 463203A1?

44 g506
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by 44 g506 »

From what I understand the hood registration numbers on 2 1/2 to 5 ton trucks all are supposed to begin with a "4". Here is some info I found and I'm sure some people who are much more informed than I will chime in shortly. By the way, nice looking truck.

There are two sets of numbers on an Army vehicle. The number on the hood is the Army Registration Number. It is assigned to the vehicle when it is procured and remains with the vehicle throughout its entire "life". This number is assigned at the time of procurement and does not necessarily have any relationship to the manufacturer's serial number. It is used to account for the vehicle and is reflected in all general inventory records. On trucks that come from the manufacturer with camouflage, these numbers may be in subdued paint or may be painted on the underside of the hood.

The other numbers are the Unit, or Organizational markings. They are used to identify the unit or organization to which a vehicle is assigned at any particular time. These markings are changed each time the vehicle is transferred from one unit to another. Starting in early World War II, standardized marking regulations call for the organizational markings to be on the bumpers or a like place on vehicles without bumpers such as trailers, tracked vehicles, etc. - and we know them as "Bumper Numbers". Prior to this, unit markings were done in compliance with local command policies.
'44 Model 325 fire truck
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

the army assigned Blocks USA Numbers to all trucks according to when the contracts were made, that is reason USA Numbers in WWII do not match Chassis numbers. You will not find official USA numbers assigned to CCKWs duplicated on any other trucks. It can happen tho on many of the recent European CCKWs that were disassembled for rebuild and the collectors use the numbers that they discover under layers of paint. This happens especially when tailgates and hoods are mismatched. I see lots of european SWBs with LWB USA numbers as the new owners adopted whatever was found on hoods or tailgates which are interchangeable.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS