1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
ZIL157
Draftee

Re: CCKWX

Post by ZIL157 »

This thread is so old its probably dead...or moribund at least, but I thought I'd chip in anyway on some external differences between the CCKWX and CCKW.
The cowl portion of the hood hinge is shorter on the CCKWX.
The body seam near the bottom of the windshield pillars was lead-loaded and consequently less pronounced on the CCKWX 1574 cab, it tends to be more
obvious on the later CCKW 1608 cabs.
The N/S mirror arm bracket was incorporated in the top door hinge on the CCKWX.
The front brushguard should have the ends of the vertical bars pointing towards the outside of the truck, i.e. the bars on the left hand side of the grill
pointing towards the left, the right side towards the right and so on.
The differences inside the cab are well known. The ashtray, the horizontal trim strip under the civilian instrument cluster, the windshield wiper housings etc..
Of course it is a fact that most of these trucks have been rebuilt at least once in their service history. My CCKWX was rebuilt by L B Smith Inc in 1952,
prior to it's re-deployment in Europe under the MDAP scheme. It was maybe during this rebuild that the cab was updated and a later front brushguard fitted.
Also, my truck (a 164" WB w/winch) has just the 4 digit chassis number stamped in the usual place on the front side rails, with no CCKWX, 353, B1 or any
suffix or prefix. Hope this may be of some interest.