352 Petrol tank filler necks.

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's

352 Petrol tank filler necks.

Post by »

Can anyone throw any light on the various Filler Necks fitted to 352 fuel tanks. Does anyone have dates for these variations. ?

Any help appreciated.

Karoshi
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Thats me above, forgot to log in, sorry.
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Filler necks.

Post by Karoshi »

Oh com' on guys. Somebody must have an idea about fuel filler changes.

I need to know: when did the single filler become double ? and at what date did the double become large ?

Any help appreciated,

Karoshi
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

As far as I can tell, there was only one fill pipe location for the SWB GMC with the small pipe. The CCKWX353 SWB used a 2 1/4" OD Pipe, the CCKW 352 used a 2 !/4"pipe up to Chasssis #41224, and changed to a 2 1/2" diameter after that. The dual filler Elbows were all 3 3/4 OD and I am not sure if they were used on the Closed Cab models from the factory, they probably were. All large neck tanks had two filler Pipes. The Spare Tire Support for SWB is also the bracket for the Fuel Tank. There was a part number for the single filler, it had a smaller provision for the Fill Pipe, and the Later version had two large Holes spaced farther apart. WE had surplus SWB CCKWS in the 50s that had the brackets modified for the large neck tanks. Many had ben cut out with a torch. Funny, but the trucks having the 2 1/4" pipe never seem to show up. I have been only been able to find only 2 of the 2 1/2" fill pipes for the tank in 25 years, the pipes are hard to find. Remember this, also, a lot happens to trucks that have been around for 60 years. Why are you asking about the tanks?
Joel
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Joel thanks. I'm trying to accurately date an 352 B1 Open Cab with a chassis number in the 79100 range. I'm told that the vehicle is totally original ( of course ) but I'm suspicious.

Also at D-day 2004 I saw a 352 with twin 2.1/2 fillers, which confused me

Its curiosity really,................. and that need to know !

Karoshi