Hard time finding 353 open cabs at events

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
pfarber
Captain
Captain

Hard time finding 353 open cabs at events

Post by pfarber »

Are the open cabs not as prevelant here in the USA? Or do most people not like them?

I've been to 4 of the bigger events with either the MVPA or reenactors and there are no 353 open cabs to look/drool over.
42 GPW
43 CCKW -A1
Bantam 1/4 ton Trailer
45th Infantry Division Renenactor
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Us 'elder statesmen' have an easier time getting in and out of the closed cabs. The idea that you can get out of an open cab faster is a false. I can dive out of a closed cab fast especially if you have the door handle set for push down to open as opposed to pull up to open which I do for the passenges side.

There is also the 'heat' issue. I went to a cruise night last Tue and on the way down had the windshield open a little. On the way back, I had the heater on! Even at 20 degrees, my closed cab is cosy...

Of course, the other side of the 'heat' issue is the hot summer drives. If you have the windshield open a lot, or all the way, I sometimes open the drivers door. It will stay opened about 6-8" from the wind pushing it open. It creates quite the turbulance down by your feet and thus helps to prevent the engine heat from cooking your toes....
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Nick Bombini
Captain
Captain

Post by Nick Bombini »

I see at least one open cab 353 every time I go to our big event here twice a year. When I went to the MVPA convention in 2003, there were about 3 or 4 open cabs there too. The gas prices may be keeping people from taking them to the event which is a real shame.
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
UK Jack
Major
Major

Post by UK Jack »

That's quite interesting, as I seem to see more open cabs over here in the UK.....I always try and drive with the windscreen down like I have just done to and from the pub with my folks in the back :shock: 8)
www.hmvf.co.uk
A forum for historic military vehicles - inspired by Bill & CCKW.org!!!

Nothing is permanent in life, except change.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I take off the cab top in the summer and drive with the windshield down, but it does get really hot down here. The engine heat buildup on the steel floorboard does get a little uncomfortable in the summer.
I have noticed that there seems to be more closed cab trucks for sale around the country than open cab, but considering all things equal, I don't think it is much of a preference issue as it is a supply issue. As open cabbed trucks, when abaondoned, tended to rust out quicker over time than the closed cabbed trucks, that could be an answer. There seems to be more open cabbed trucks offered as parts trucks as the cabs are so rotten from years of exposier to the elements inside and out. All just guessing on all our parts, I guess. :D :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
johan Van keer
Draftee

Re: Hard time finding 353 open cabs at events

Post by johan Van keer »

I think the answer to your question have to be found in the increase of production to follow the demandsduring the war. Closed cabs where the very first to be produced and to be assigned to the units in the US. When production increases and steel was getting more expensive. Procuction changed to the more economical open cabs. Those, mostly where send immediately overseas, stored in large stocks, and assingned to the units in need of them. None of the units from the US that where send to the UK, brought there trucks with them.