Open Cab/Closed Cab

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Open Cab/Closed Cab

Post by joel gopan »

I have noted opinions on other sites why there are more Closed Cab CCKW trucks showing up around the USofA than Open Cabs. I have been around the Surplus Truck business since the end of WWII. The CCKW was a popular truck used in the logging, construction and farming business right up into the 60s. There were plenty of surplus CCKW open and closed cab trucks available. There was hardly any thought of collecting and restoring during those years, and the trucks were used hard. Most customers preferred the Closed Cab, it was weather tight and easier to enter and egress. Surplus dealers would comb the country salvaging the 41-47 GMC and Chevrolet civilian cabs to convert open cab CCKW trucks to closed cabs. Many open cab trucks were stripped for parts by the dealers, and a lot of good SWB CCKWs were also salvaged. The SWB was not as popular. In the 70s the existing CCKWs in good condition that were surplus stateside were becoming scarce, and a few popular dealers were importing CCKWs and parts from Europe. Does anyone remember Sarafan, Supreme Surplus Firestone Motors, Sam Winer Motors, Kaufmans, Maury Klein, Rex Tex, Houston Truck& Equipment, Bens, Memphis Equipment etc? The closed cab trucks were the choice of those who drove the CCKW over the road, and open cab seemed to be more numerous among farmers, and those who modified their truck into a Crane Carrier. I was fortunate to have served in the Army in 1960 when the rare CCKW and CCW would still be seen. The National Guard used CCKW Le Roi Air Compressor trucks as late as 1959, the USAF at Dow AFB in Maine had a CCKW Open Cab Communications Van and a Chevrolet 4x4 at their MARS Site as late as 1961. I have a photo of the Maine Army National Guard loading CCKWs and MBT Trailers onto Gondola cars to be shipped to Europe in March 1952. They were issued the 1 1/2 Ton 6x6 Dodge WC to use until the M-Series GMC was issued to them in late 1953 I hope this sheds light on why the Closed Cab seems more numerous.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I love the CCKW's and the closed cab trucks look like the vintage trucks of the 30's and 40's, but I prefer the look of the open cab truck. Also on really hot days in those long slow parades, you can lay the windshield down for more air. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
bobc
Captain
Captain

open cab VS closed

Post by bobc »

My main reason for wanting to do the open cab is GUN RING,they look so much more military with a gun ring and it's alot harder and more expensive to put a gun ring on a closed cab. Another reason is on a warm spring night with all the canvas off,it's great! I still kinda miss my M-37 for that very reason.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck