New DUKW owner

General Discussion about the WW2 DUKW. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
JeffL
Draftee

New DUKW owner

Post by JeffL »

Hi, just joined the site. We recently picked up this 1945 DUKW to use on our local lake here Lake Wallenpaupack. We have been running her through her paces with a lot of help from Steve to perform proper maintenance and to get her sealed up.

So far we have about 10 hrs on the lake in her as we take the DUKW out on the water each weekend. This DUKW was from a NY military collector.

To assure good maintenance and to take care of the engine I installed a modern VDO tach and hour meter. If fit nicely in the Tire Pressure dash location and we will paint up the ring now that our paint arrived.

We will be working on sealing the front axle up next so I'm sure I will be checking on part numbers and what crosses over from the CCKW.

Just a car buff who couldn't buy a boat for the lake house, the DUKW was a much better solution for weekend boating.

Take care
1945 GMC DUKW - weekly lake use