Another Barn Find Swims again

General Discussion about the WW2 DUKW. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
Cat Man
Major
Major

Another Barn Find Swims again

Post by Cat Man »

This is just a reminder that collector trucks in the barn are still out there.

This DUKW is owned by our friend Don Meinhardt of Wyocena Wisconsin. Don brought the DUKW out a few weeks ago for its first show after a two year restoration. These pictures are from the IOLA military show in central WI.

The DUKW came from Minnesota as surplus in the early 1960's and was used by a family in northern WI as a boat at their lake home. Another collector was contacted by the family that owned it, inquiring about any interest in someone purchasing it. Well maybe.......

When Don's team arrived to look at it, the DUKW was not sitting rusting in the weeds but was in storage building and the owner asked if they wanted to take it for a ride!!!! Words were stammered that went something like "Well, er ah sure OK I guess" Driven outside into daylight on old gas with some choke and throttle cable manuvering, no brakes of course but it was so original it had the military paint, stars and numbers faded but very visable.

Sure it needed some work and they didn't dare try and swim it. But it was driven onto the trailer. Now they don't get much more original than this. Remember, they are still out there!

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Steve Greenberg
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Another Barn Find Swims again

Post by Steve Greenberg »

Cat Man,
Very nice looking DUKW! If you send me your serial number, date of delivery and USA number I will add it to the list of DUKW owners I have been working on.
Thanks,
Steve 8)
Cat Man
Major
Major

Re: Another Barn Find Swims again

Post by Cat Man »

Steve,

I'll have Don send you the info. I don't have all the data on this DUKW

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy