Russian DUKW

General Discussion about the WW2 DUKW. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Russian DUKW

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Doc Britton sent me some pictures he recently took of a couple of Iraqi owned Russian copies of the GMC DUKW.

What are the specs behind this vehicle. Did it use the same drivetrain as the Russian copy of the CCKW.

I note that this Russian unit has a rear tailgate. I assume no winch back there but it looks like a winch is behind the front seats.

Can anyone elaborate.

Thanks Doc for the great shots!!!!!
Cat Man
Major
Major

Russian DUKW Copy

Post by Cat Man »

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the photo's. Here are a few stat's about these vehicles.

The information is from three sources. Janes military vehicles 1981, US ARMY USAREUR Pam 30-60-1 Oct 1973 and Dept of the Army Foreign Material Catalog (FOMCAT) TB 381-5-22A (My Library)

The vehicle is called a BAV485 and was first fielded by the Soviets in 1953 and produced up until the 1970's. Obviously a full copy of the US DUKW. The main differences are the rear tail gate and larger cargo space-more troop capacity. There were two ramps for loading small vehicles and guns over the tailgate. The early model had external tire inflation air lines. A later version, the BAV485A had an internal tire inflation system. Looks like these are the later BAV485A models.

The BAV485 is based on the ZIL-151 6X6 just like the CCKW. Dimensions are close to the DUKW. The engine is the ZIL-123 6 Cylinder Gas model. It has a larger displacement than the 270 cu in (4.4 Liter) GMC. The ZIL engine is 5.55 Liter or 338.6 cu in. Same Russian engine as used in the BTR-152 6X6 armored personnel carrier.

The BAV is shown as 800 to 1000 pounds heavier than the DUKW (empty) depending on what source you look to. They all have a 12 Volt electrical system. Doctor Deuce would like that.

They were manufactured in Moscow at the Likhachev Motor Vehicle Plant.

If you think the CCKW or DUKW are hard on fuel, remember the DUKW has a with a 151 Liter tank, the Russian BAV fuel tank is 240 Liters! Fuel consumption with the larger engine (on Land) is listed as 47 Liters / 100 KM vs the US DUKW at 39 Liters / 100KM.

There are some photos in several of the military source manuals. Let me know if you want me to post them. One shows the loading ramps being used with the tailgate.

The BAV485's are replaced by a larger tracked amphib model, the K-61 or PTS.

Stay safe and God's speed. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Colin Britton
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Russian DUKW

Post by Colin Britton »

Cat Man,
I sent Bill more pictures of the Russian DUKW. These pictures are of the cargo area, the cab with the winch, the engine compartment with another of the dash board area and finially the rear drive with rudder and axel.

SHOT OUT!
ATW,
Doc Britton.

1945 353-B2 W/W with 1943 Trackson Co. M-36 Gun Mount
1944 Ford M-20 Armored Car
1943 Steel body Ben Hur trailer
1944 MB w/GPW engine (project) On hold M-20 restoration has OPERATIONAL PRIORITY
Active Duty Paratrooper 82nd Abn. Div.
2nd BDE. 325 A.I.R.
3rd BCT 2-505 P.I.R
407th BSB Trauma Team SGT/Leader
Combat Medic
Fmr. Combat Engr. 307th Engr. Bn. Abn.
14 years in the 82nd. Americas Guard of Honor
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Update 3/20/2007...Doc has provided even more pictures. I have started them on a web page off the "Owners DUKW" sub-page. All the pictures can be seen here:

http://www.cckw.org/iraqi_dukw.htm

Thanks again Doc!
Cat Man
Major
Major

Russian DUKW

Post by Cat Man »

I looked at the additional photos. Very Interesting. Thanks.

The loading ramps that are shown in the photos I have, are the same as the ramps laying in the back in the cargo area. They would be correct. They look like the originals.

The other item I noticed was the brake pedal. One of the three sources I checked indicated that these trucks had "Air Brakes". I thought it was an error. But looking at Colin's photo's it sure looks like an air brake type.

IT looks like there is one anchor still in place. Maybe Doc could stick it in a duffle bag on the way home.......... :D

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

excellent subject here thanks for sharing the pics... :D :D
just a thought !!!! Russians copying American products ???? :? :? America s biggest threat in the past and they were prducing copies.. mmm did they copy more ??? :wink: :wink:
1941 GMC 352 A1 Cargo 29595
1942 GMC 353 F2 Workshop 102620 ST6 Type M18 Electrical Repair
1942 GMC 353 B2 Cargo
1942 Ben Hur 1ton Wooden Cargo Trailer
1942 Chevrolet G506 G7113 Tractor 1NK 245837
1944 5ton The Trailer Company of America, Stake and Platform Semi Trailer
1943 Dodge WC63 6x6 82035401
194? Diamond T 968a 968A7471
PFC 514th Q.M T.C We Deliver Everything, Except Babies
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

Yes, they produced copies of the amphib. jeep and also what was basically a copy of the GMC/ Studebaker.
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

and of course Boeing Bombers
Tim Sutter
Corporal
Corporal

And the space shuttle

Post by Tim Sutter »

They also copied the space shutle. Theirs was call the Buran of something like that. :shock:
It wasn't me, I didn't do it.
1943 White Half Track
1943 Schelm Brothers M-10 Ammo Trailer
194? GMC DUKW