DUKW Pictures - Almost Done

General Discussion about the WW2 DUKW. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
minnhawk
Corporal
Corporal

DUKW Pictures - Almost Done

Post by minnhawk »

Below is a picture or two of my DUKW -- I say I am almost finished, but since when is ANY historic military vehicle "finished"? There's always more work to be done, but at least this DUKW is getting to the point where I'm willing to post pictures of it! I purposely left off the skirts on the left side to show off her "legs" (!)

John Varner
1945 DUKW
1942 Command Car
11Bc2 Dogface "Rock of the Marne"
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Chappers
Captain
Captain

Post by Chappers »

What a Beauty,There's someting about a Dukw that appeals to me. Maybe oneday!!!!!!! :P :P :P
David Welch
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by David Welch »

John, Great Job. Its rare to see a DUKW as straight and with uncut ribs. What color is that 33070?
David
David Welch
GPW-77710
M29C
Dukw-22096
minnhawk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by minnhawk »

David: Yeah, I decided to go with 33070 early WWII. The more accurate, late war OD was just to pale for me -- I left a patch of it under one of the data plates for posterity, however.

I also went with the 461st Ampibious Truck Company, attached to the 149th Engineer Combat Battalion (ECB) on D-Day at Omaha Beach (6th Engineer Special Brigade) I also put the driver's name underneath the air intake on the right side, "TSGT Amos Millwood." Millwood earned a bronze star with "V" device for bringing his DUKW onshore under fire to deliver more ammunition and supplies and, even more importantly, to evacuate the wounded. Three DUKWmen and the company commander were killed the morning of June 6th. For its actions, the 14th ECB (and therefore the men of the 461st) was awarded a Unit Citation for its work on D-Day.

Although I've dreaded the painting of stencils on the DUKW, I took my time and they all came out very clean and crisp. I used the vinyl stencil cutouts, paid attention to the edges, and also "pre-sprayed" the stencils OD green to seal any gaps and let it dry thoroughly BEFORE I painted with the white.

It has been a labor of love -- uncut DUKWs with sturdy hulls are hard to come by -- you should know, owning the "sister" of mine. Let me know how your engine block painting comes out! And thanks again for the swimming lession -- maybe we'll both get the cajones to swim DUKWs the way Steve G does someday.
John Varner
1945 DUKW
1942 Command Car
MVPA Member
MVT Member
David Welch
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by David Welch »

I need to get my dukw finished also.
David Welch
GPW-77710
M29C
Dukw-22096
minnhawk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by minnhawk »

David: Go ahead, rub in the fact that you have a heated garage! I could sure use heated space right now!
John Varner
1945 DUKW
1942 Command Car
MVPA Member
MVT Member
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Wow and double wow. She is a real beauty. You have done a fantastic job. Thanks for the photos. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans