chevy project truck

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
bobc
Captain
Captain

chevy project truck

Post by bobc »

I got back up to check on my chevy project truck that I traded for last winter,the guy hasn't started getting it out of it's hole yet but I was able to get some pictures and asses the truck,the interior is incredibly nice,and complete,the headliner is perfect and look at the seat cover,I don't know if it is original but it's very nice. Someone pulled the front axel and transfer case out and the rear driveline is mangled,someone was very rough on this truck,but the sheet metal is so clean,I couldn't read the data plate due to the wasp nest on it,but the bed data plate says it was built 4-45 so I assume the truck is also a 45,it has military gauges,but it has the embossed"Chevrolet" hood panels. Hopefully this winter the guy will get it out so I can get it home,now that things are slowing down I'm starting to get restless,I need to work on something.Image
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

If it has had a rough life, check for cracks in the frame just behind the front axle rear spring hanger under the front of the cab. There are a series of rivets there (tooo many) that are close together that weaken the frame and caus it to crack. I have seen quite a few this way
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
mmamajor
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mmamajor »

Bed data plate?? Where is that located?? Andy
bobc
Captain
Captain

bed data plate

Post by bobc »

Hi Andy, The data plate for the bed is located on the left front corner,right by the drivers door,it give all the builders data and the date built,plus it tells what publications to refer to for maintenece and service.I didn't think to take a picture of it but I'll check my pictures and see if it snuck in.Bob.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
mmamajor
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mmamajor »

Hey Bob, if you would, I'd like to see a pic of this bed data plate. I'm eyeing a '41 Chevy 1.5 ton and don't remember a plate like you describe. Andy
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Actually the Chevrolet 4X4 Chassis was quite sufficient for what the Army intended,(they were tested exhaustively at Camp Holobird and Aberdeen Proving Ground), what usually happened to the front chassis was the result of use by civilians who adapted the trucks for use beyond the design limits of the truck. There was not much that was installed on front of Army issue Chevrolet 4X4s that would overstress them, Mainly it was just the Firefighting apparatus, or the Winch, and these were well designed. 5 yard Dumps, Snowplows, and Log Beds, and "bubba" all took their toll. There was no punishment for abusing Army Trucks in Civilian life, but the Army had regulations about acting stupid. (Statement of Charges is one provision). It was not limited to Chevrolet I know of a CCKW with a Cement Mixer on it, and have seen sagging frames on CCKWs .
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

The telephone auger truck is probably the most abused from the factory Chevy as it was the heaviest. That auger is very heavy and it does stress the back of the truck quite a bit when drilling. I hit a rock once and it damned near threw me out of the back of the truck as it lurched over.

As a point of interest, the mil chevy had no cross members from the front under the radiator to the back of the cab. The civy trucks had a crossmember under the bellhousing.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html