5-lug vice 6-lug GMC axles

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
jckolding
Draftee

5-lug vice 6-lug GMC axles

Post by jckolding »

I just picked up a cable tool drill rig for punching a few holes on my ranch in TX. Under it is an early war ear GMC truck . It's single axle and appears to be two wheel drive in the photo--haven't seen it in person yet, still resting in CA. Can anyone fill me in on these 5-lug axles? All the pictures and info I can gather on the web show/discuss 6-lug wheels on GMC war trucks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Re: 5-lug vice 6-lug GMC axles

Post by retro-roco »

My guess is that your Franken-truck started life as a Chevy 1-1/2 truck..It was likely a G506 4x4, as I think I can see the remnants of the spare tire holder on the drivers side frame, behind the cab. The front axle appears to be a standard 1-1/2 ton (2 wheel drive) axle, as it has 5 lugs rather than 6, and no center drive hub as you would see if it were a driven axle. The cab, fenders, hood and brush guard appear to be from the army G506 as well, though it looks like something has been changed regarding how the hood closes over the radiator. I can't tell if the cab and fenders have been dropped, or the front of the hood raised, but something is odd looking... Don't be surprised if you find a GMC 270 engine in it, as it was a very common swap. If it still has the original dataplates, on a Chevy they should be above the windshield, or on the center of the dash. You'll have to keep us updated on what you find... does she run?
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I think what you have is a Chevy civy truck. If the fron wheels have 5 bolts and the back has 10 bolts, then I am correct. The font has an adapter plate that covers every other hole. Someone has put on a WW2 GM nose.

If the wheels are Budd-like (though not Budd) a CCKW or Chev, then it is a GMC. A GMC would also have CCKW split-like (not exactly) rear end.

Hope this helps
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
jckolding
Draftee

Post by jckolding »

I will get to view the truck up close in January. The info in your replies will help me determine the model of the truck. I bought it because I need to drill holes not restore trucks. Will move the drill rig to a modern truck, may get the early '40s truck running again--why not. Thanks for your help, when I know more I'll share with the forum. Cheers.
jckolding
Draftee

Post by jckolding »

A friend took a closer look this weekend, it was originally a 4x4, the transfer case is still on the truck and the rear axle is 6-lug. He looked for data plates but couldn't find any--he wasn't able to open the doors. I told him to look on the chassis, right side at rear of front spring bracket--when next visiting the truck. Cheers.
jckolding
Draftee

Post by jckolding »

Gents, I made it to CA and got a close look at this early 1940s truck--several pics attached. I also ran into this yellow Chevy truck a few pics of it are attached as well. I bought the red truck and tracking down the owner of the yellow truck. I figure between the two trucks I can build one complete 4x4 using original [period] parts. The yellow truck's running gear is quite complete. The red trucks cab has only surface rust--one rusted through door. They appear at first clance to be the same cab--except for the instrument panel. Can someone help me identify these two truck? Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

The red one is an early truck (civy instruments). It also has a later full pressure engine it appears.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Gordon_M
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Gordon_M »

That's a really mix and match pair, that is.

The red truck has the earlier brushguard, with the sepentine wound radiator grille, but the yellow truck has the earlier dash.

Buy both, strip both, build one is the obvious answer. I'm asusming the red truck has a later / bigger engine as it wouldn't need that fill in section at the leading edge of the hood to fit a 270.

Only other obvious point is it would be easier to find replacement instruments for the round military gauges.
Gordon from Scotland