Length of Chevy 1 1/2 ton 235 engine dipstick?

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
victorytruck
Draftee

Length of Chevy 1 1/2 ton 235 engine dipstick?

Post by victorytruck »

Hello,
I am a newcomer to this forum. Need alittle help. I have owned a 1945 Chevy 1 1/2 ton truck for about 2 months now. I serviced it for winter. I poured in 5 qts of oil per the book and 1 1/2 qts per the book in the filter. I did NOT get a oil level indication on the dipstick. The engine runs fine. OIl pressure good and no leaks. The engine ran fine on the old oil. I did have a indication before I changed the oil. I am prettry sure I have the original 235 engine (BV-685910) with the smaller size sparkplugs. I have changed the plugs too. I measured the oil pan. It is 13 inches deep at the well. The pan appears to be just like the pans that I see in the pics of the engine. The dipstick measures 21 1/2 inches overall length and 15 1/8 inches from tip to the shoulder. Truck serial number is 8NJ38-153XX. It is unaltered cargo truck w/o the winch with composite b ed. Do I have the WRONG dipstick?? Can other truck owners measure thier dipstick and get back to me? Thanks, Roger in Indiana
bobc
Captain
Captain

Re: Length of Chevy 1 1/2 ton 235 engine dipstick?

Post by bobc »

I just checked the dipstick on a 43? chevy I have in the yard, the engine compartment is very complete and original so I assume the dipstick is correct, the dipstick is a round rod with two retaining springs, one at the top and one towards the bottom, I measured 18 1/8th from the place where the tube bottoms and the end, about 16 inches to the full level on it, I hope this helps.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck