G7107 Contract and Serial numbers

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

G7107 Contract and Serial numbers

Post by m38cdnbill »

Hello All,

On my Chevy G7107, the data plates in the cab are unreadable and the only one that allows me to determine the year of my truck is the one I found on the transfer case. This plate indicates that the transfer case was made in Newark OHIO on March 28th 1945. For the Chevy's experts, under which contract number, where and in which month of 1945 my chevrolet would it have been built? Waiting for an answer.

Last weekend I completed the dismantling of my truck. There's nothing left on the frame and I begin the sandblast next weekend. Differentials are in my garage and I disassembled the brakes and only the shoes lining must be change. Oils in the housing were in excellent condition and there was no trace of steel filings. No leakage of oil is apparent and the seals and bearings are perfect. Pictures will come soon.

Cheers

Guy
Last edited by m38cdnbill on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
John D
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Contract and Serial numbers

Post by John D »

Guy-I thought my data plate was unreadable, but a friend of mine worked on it and raised the numbers. Perhaps if you remove the data plate and gently polish it, you might find some serial numbers. You might even be able to see the stamping from the back of the data plate. Good luck!

John
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

Salut John,

I will try and I'll come back if I have some results.

Cheers

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

John,

Your trick works well but the data plates which I have are the Shifting Diagram and the Maximum Permissible Road Speeds.

Cheers

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: G7107 Contract and Serial numbers

Post by m38cdnbill »

Hello All,

I beleive that I found the VIN under the paint on the glove box. This number begin by: 9NJ55. The last four digits are almost unreadable but seems to be 0627. With this number, is it possible to have the contract number?

Cheers

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Post by retro-roco »

Guy,

Using the number you provided, the data works out as follows:

9 - Mfg in Norwood Ohio
NJ - Cargo less winch
55 - July 1945
-0627 - probably NOT correct, as production numbers started wih 1001.

I can't help you with contract numbers for anything that late. The only information I have regarding contracts is through 1942...

good luck with your search for information!
Last edited by retro-roco on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

Hello Retro Roco,

Your right, it's not a "0" but rather a "1". For the second digit "6", I'm not sure if it's the good one and it's possible that this is a "0" or an "8".
Anyway, the number 9NJ55-1627 seems the good one if at least 627 Chevy G7107 were built in July 1945 and according with the date and place of manufacture of the transfer case. However, if there has been less builted, then the number 0 is probably the good one.

Additionnal questions.

1. Does anyone know how many Chevy G7107 were built in July 1945?
2. Does anyone have a data base of WWII Chevy (all military types) remaining with their serial number? I want to be sure that another truck did not have the same VIN.

Thanks

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

I was under the impression that "cargo truck" production had ceased in late 1943
And any other production units were for "fire truck chassis " and " telephone/service type of bodies"
Goes to show what I know :lol:
Your truck is missing several of the "later production " spotting features
The serial numbers were stamped in the data plate, some careful filing from the back side should reveal the numbers although backwards :shock:

Cheers
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

John V Cliche wrote:I was under the impression that "cargo truck" production had ceased in late 1943
And any other production units were for "fire truck chassis " and " telephone/service type of bodies"
Goes to show what I know :lol:
Your truck is missing several of the "later production " spotting features
The serial numbers were stamped in the data plate, some careful filing from the back side should reveal the numbers although backwards :shock:

Cheers
John
Salut John,

Well, the mystery remains whole :shock: :lol: I know that my truck was rebuilt in Anniston Ordnance Depot and I began to think that this Chevy is a truck salad :lol: Let me know if you find some information about the production of cargo less winch Chevy.

Cheers from Canada

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

One thing I have observed with my multitude of Chevys from WW2 is that the quality/longevity went way down as the war went on. It has been my observation that the later ones were not painted inside the cab and that they tend to rot out more easily/often than the earlier/older trucks.

My $.02
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

dr deuce wrote:One thing I have observed with my multitude of Chevys from WW2 is that the quality/longevity went way down as the war went on. It has been my observation that the later ones were not painted inside the cab and that they tend to rot out more easily/often than the earlier/older trucks.
Good observation Stephen. I figure the war industry was out of breath from the end of 1944 which would explain why the quality went way down.

Cheers

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

Hello All,

You can see below the first two pictures of the frame of my Chevy sandblasted and painted. Almost fifteen hours and 25 bags of sand were needed to sandblast the frame but the results speaks by itself. The ardest was the top of the frame where the rust was more embedded. There are also a lot of cross-members and brackets along the frame so that it was difficult to have access to all these corners. Anyway, before leaving late yesterday PM, I was in a contemplative state with the conviction that I had to reach the other side of the mountain. The worst of the job is done and now it will be cake.

Cheers

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Canadian Gunner »

HI Bill:

"Ahhh! The frame is done... its all easy peasy from here!" Famous last words, mon ami! Enjoy the challenges ahead, thats what makes restoring these old beasts so much fun.

If I may offer some advice, learned the hard way... most primer paints and flat finish OD green do not seal the steel well enough to prevent rusting again; soon! If you are not using an epoxy paint, may I suggest that you seal the steel with three or four heavy coats of gloss black or OD paint and then put the flat finish on top of that. Nothing more heartbreaking then finishing your beastie and a few years later finding rust bleeding through everywhere.

Personally I coat any steel parts, not just frames, with a couple of coats of primer, topped with at least two coats of gloss black and then two coats of the top coat colour.

I look forward to more resto photos as you progress!

Salut et Ubique! Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

Hi Mike,

I'm happy of your answer and thanks for the tips. In the past, one of my HMV friends didn't adequately painted the frame of his Willys MB and the rust appeared quickly. I didn't make the same mistake and before the OD paint, I coated the frame with two coats of primer epoxy (best quality), topped with one coat of semi gloss green and then two coats of OD.

I will keep forward as the works progress

Salut and Adsum!

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

Hello All,

Works are proceeding as planned. Last week-end, I sandblasted and painted the front axle, spring leaves and several other brackets. Yesterday PM, all these parts have been reinstalled in their place on the frame without too much difficulties.

By the way, a Chevy truck is like an WWII jeep :roll: ... but heavier and needs a bigger machine than only arms :lol:

Each blade has been sanded, painted and reinstalled... very long, dusty and durty job.

My sandblast machine name "The Dragoon" :mrgreen: .

"Tell me Francois, the yoke will it forward or backward?" :wink: Seriously, I'm on the left of this picture and by the right is my friend François Cliche.

The final result of this week-end works. All pins and bushings have been replaced by new ones and everything is solid as the factory gate.

Don't worry guys, the yoke is well directed towards the rear :wink: .

Stay tune, another pictures will be send next week.

Cheers from Canada
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

Hello All,

This last week-end, reconstruction works continued. I finally ended the sandblast on the rear springs and axle and late Saturday night, we finished putting them back in their place on the frame. Unfortunately I couldn't take pictures and it will be for the next post. Meanwhile, I had the time to sandblast the transfert case and apply the primer and paint. You can see below two pictures of this part.

We also had time to begin to put in place the parts of the engine. An old expert who leaving in Edmundston New-Brunswick making a short block on this engine and I leave it to experts of this forum to tell us which kind of engine is it... 235 or 261 cid? :wink: :mrgreen: .

Cheers from Canada
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
Barry Churcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Barry Churcher »

Bonjour Guy
Comment ca va? Votre moteur est un 261 je pense.
Barry
1944 Chev. C15TA
DAF YA314 ----- Chev. G506
Ford F15A (4)
Chev C15A (2)
Ben Hur Fuel Transfer
Polynor Trailer
Drone Winch Trailer
GE Searchlight
Nekaf
1953 M38A1
Telephone Reel Hand Cart
British GS Trailer
M101
M101 with Water Tank
101 CDN-2 (2)
WW2 Water Trailer
M-274 A5 Mule
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

It is a 235.

The 261 has two large power steering sizes fittings on the lower oil gallery under the manifolds. This picture does not show that.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
John D
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by John D »

I noticed those "captain's bars" cast onto the engine too. I thought only the 261's had those?????

John
Barry Churcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Barry Churcher »

John, I also thought the Captain's bars identified a 261. I know that it applied to all the Canadian Pontiacs which were 261 from 1955 to 1962. It must be a Canadian thing. Don't forget we always had different engine selections in our vehicles. Bigger engines in the Dodge WC and the M-37, 427's in Pontiacs, Mercury pickups, Beaumonts and so on.
Cheers,
Barry
1944 Chev. C15TA
DAF YA314 ----- Chev. G506
Ford F15A (4)
Chev C15A (2)
Ben Hur Fuel Transfer
Polynor Trailer
Drone Winch Trailer
GE Searchlight
Nekaf
1953 M38A1