Blackout early type

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Blackout early type

Post by m38cdnbill »

Hello All,

The ground up restoration of my Chevy is going well and I will send pictures soon. Last saturday, I went to meet John Cliche at Kennebunkport in Maine. I was there shortly but I have greatly enjoyed being with him. Thanks John for the parts and tips.

I have a question for the Chevrolet G506 experts. My truck is a late model (I don't have the SN but I bought that truck as a 1945) and the front grill is the one that goes with this truck. However, on driver's side grill, there are two holes which suggests to me that an early style blackout was installed there. Is it possible?

The panel is launched. :D

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Guy,
I had a late 43 model that I sold a couple of years ago and it had an "asymetrical" grill similar to the CCKWs ( but it was a "chevy type" ) and the black out drive was mounted on the fender " again ala CCKW (Both front fenders where the re-enforced CCKW type as well )
The truck had a depot rebuild tag of 1955 if I remember corectly.
The next time we meet I will show you the pics.

The black out head lite came as a "kit" I purchased mine thru Frank von Rosensteil I don't remember where the guard come from. :roll:

Hope this helps
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

Hello John,

Thanks for these informations. As soon as I have a picture of my grill, and a close shot of the two holes, I will send on this topic.

Bye

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
fleetmaster
Draftee

Re: Blackout early type

Post by fleetmaster »

Guy,

Actually, the early type blackout lights were installed on top of the fenders, not the grille.

Picture shows prototype drawing and my late 1940 (civil dash) G7106.

Bart