Octane selector

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
pop larkin
Corporal
Corporal

Octane selector

Post by pop larkin »

Does anybody know what an 'Octane selector' is? I have just put all new points, condenser, rotor, cap and HT leads on my 235 Chevy engine. In the manual it mentions setting the 'octane selector' to zero after checking the tension of the points spring and also that it is set to zero before adjusting the timing, but I can find no more info about the 'octane selector' in the manual. What is it? and where can I find it?
**Paul**
Devon MVT
MVWF
1943 Chevrolet G7107
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Hi Pop
The octane selector is that brkt that is mounted between your dist. and the engine block.
Basically the dist. base is held on the selector by a clamp the other end of the selector is fastened to the block with a screw.
The screw hole is elongated to permit you to rotate the dist a few degrees in either direction ( advance or retard )
This will permit the driver to adjust the timing of the engine to compensate for low or poor octane fuel ( to stop ping or knock )
I hope I didn't confuse you :)
Depending on weather BUBBA left the brkt there or not of course :shock:

John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
pop larkin
Corporal
Corporal

Post by pop larkin »

Excellent thanks John.

I did wonder if it was some sort of base setting of marks on the base of the distributor where it went into the block, but I never cleaned off the area as I had made a score mark when I removed the distributor and didn't want to wipe off my marks before I re-fitted it. The selector is still in place as I remember seeing the screw holding it to the block and just assumed it was the distributor clamp and not an adjuster.

At least I can set the timing properly at the weekend now :D
**Paul**
Devon MVT
MVWF
1943 Chevrolet G7107
Fernando Mendes
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Distributor Manual Advance.

Post by Fernando Mendes »

Complementing information about this subject:1)Each line of the distributor manual advance is equivalent three degrees. 2)In the center is when the octane is 75. 3)Moving in direction of the letter "R" when the octane is 70-72. 4)Moving in direction of the letter "A" when the octane is 80. :idea:
Jeep Willys MB DoD dec,16 1942 s/n:196275
Dodge B3-B 4x2 1952 s/n:90099559
CCKW 353 Banjo 1944 s/n:309623