What is this part?

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
44 g506
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

What is this part?

Post by 44 g506 »

Hey guys, does anyone have any idea what this part is? It is mounted on the firewall under the oil filter of my model 325 g506 fire truck. It currently isn't hooked up to anything so it can't be to important to the operation of the truck. I'm just trying to figure out what its purpose in life is. Thanks for any help.

John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Hey 44

I'm not very familiar with the Chevy fire trucks

But the item in your photo looks alot like a govorner ( although it should be mounted closer to the carb)
Or possibly a primer for operating the pump at a draft (suction )
Is there a control handle/cable going to the dash or pump panel?

John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
44 g506
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by 44 g506 »

Hi John,

I was thinking it might have something to do with being a primer for the original pump. The pump has been swapped for a more modern one that has its own primer that operates off the engine vacuum. This part does have 2 connection points for tubing and the vertical rod does have a place to connect a rod or cable and has a spring return so that would make sense. Thanks for your help and confirming my thoughts.

Scott