exhaust routing help...pipe diameter and flange design?

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
daveyboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

exhaust routing help...pipe diameter and flange design?

Post by daveyboy »

Still looking to find someone who installed a 235 into their Chevy 1.5 ton cargo to take a picture for me please!

Better yet, a few measurments would be better.

I guess I will need to crawl under, tear it out, bend, cut and wack the exhaust into something and take to the muffler shop to use as a template for them to make me up a clean bent up pipe to re-install.

OH.. is the flange that mates the pipe to the manifold a simple flat stock with two holes, or something else? My truck has a fancy cast piece that slips on and about on the flared end exhaust pipe now.

I am not sure if this flange will mate to the 235 mainfold or not. Does anyone know?
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

The Military 235 ( civi 216 ) has a doughnut gasket
I think some of the later 235 have a flange no big deal to adapt, BUT I think the angle of the exhaust manifold outlet is where the the problem is or will be.( steering box or winch shaft )
I used an original type engine in my resto so no pipe problems were encountered.
Dr Deuce I believe has experience with that exhaust issue????

Hope this helps
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

The pipe on the later engine uses a larger donut and the pipe angles past the steering box. I used a 62 chev pipe I think on the Bomb Truck. It doesn not have a winch so I cannot tell you anything about that.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
daveyboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

thanks

Post by daveyboy »

Thanks John and Doc for the reply's.

Doc: one last question on this.

You mentioned you used a 62 chevy pipe.

where did you get it at? Part number ? Local purchase? 62 car or truck application?

Did you use it right as is, off the shelf and it fit fine past the steering box?
Or did you need to have it bnt a little?

I too do NOT have a winch truck, so the only obstacle is the steering box. I dont se this as all a big issue, just the time to get the correct diamter pip, flange and "something" bent up to use as a template.

Doc. What size diameter pipe does the ater 235 use? I think the pipe n the 216 measured 1 7/8" if I remeber correctly.