Is this bed original?

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
blackdog
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Is this bed original?

Post by blackdog »

John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Is this bed orig.

Post by John V Cliche »

Hi Bd,
Not from any vehicles or photo's I've seen.
1st clue stake pockets won't allow for troop seats/cargo racks.
Appears more like a 50's style Heil or Gallion dump body.
Does it have a hoist?
Is there a storage/tool box in the back between the frame rails?
Are tail lites recessed into the rear sill?
Hope this helps

John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
blackdog
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by blackdog »

Thanks for the information. I haven't been able to get up close yet, but from a distance the cab looks to be in decent shape.

I'll go and look at it again after I call the guy and arrange another visit...
rwdfresno
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by rwdfresno »

blackdog.

You know what is interesting: I have a bed identical to that bed and it is also on a WW2 1.5 ton truck. The bed is very, very similar to the IHC 2.5 ton truck bed although it doesnt have the spot for the spare and the toolboxes but almost identicle in construction and dimentions. I had my bed for sale as an IHC bed (I didnt know the diff. at the time until one potential buyer informed me and sent me some pics). The bed I am almost possitive is military, and mine I am fairly certain has a faded coat of USMC forest green on it. I am now very curious about these beds and very interested in the fact the there are now 2 of that I know of that are on WW2 1.5 Chevy trucks. It almost makes me wonder if these were Marine Chevy's at one point or something like that.
Ryan
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Hi Ryan ,
Are the beds you're referring to made by Anthony ?
Didn't they also have stake pockets for cargo racks and troop seats ?
Just curious.
Regards
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
rwdfresno
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by rwdfresno »

I'm not sure the manufacture. You can see the stake bracket in between the triangular supports ion the side of the bed. The top rail of the bed has a square hole much like the standard Army bed however when the stake is slid into place the wodd of the stake is exposed and the bottom is supported by the little sheetmetal braket 3/4 or the wa down the bedside. I am guessing this beinfit of this design was that there would not be as much moisture trapped in the stake pockets to rust out (just a guess) since the USMC is frequently an amphibious force and vehicles are transported frequently by USN ships which gives a lot of exposure to salt water. It seems to have worked on this bed because it has survived with little rust.

Ryan
blackdog
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by blackdog »

Wow, thank you so much for that post RWD. Do you have any more pictures of both the vehicle and the bed? I am still trying to get up to this guy's place but I haven't been able to meet up with him yet.

Edit: Looked at the pic and noticed that the bed was at one point painted yellow. I swear, every WW2 1.5 and heavier truck has been painted yellow.
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Hi Brian,
Do you suppose the yellow is from municipal use ie: highway dept ?
Here in the north east the yellow ones must have rusted away to dust years ago. :(
Some of the 1 1/2 ton's we find now all have red paint on them, from as you can guess fire service. :D
Regards
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
rwdfresno
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by rwdfresno »

Ok, well today I took a look at my truck and after a 30 seconds of looking at it I could tell the the bed was "okie rigged" onto the truck. Apparently it is just a coincidence that these 2 trucks have the same bed on them. Very interesting though, I wonder if they were once brothers (maybe modified by the same person). Anyways, it is still a bit of a mystery about what the bed is although it is becoming more and more compelling to me that this is an M-5H-6 bed. I have had 3 people tell me they have seen M-5H-6s with beds that have no spare tire and although nobody seems to be able to produce a wartiem picture of one).
Ryan
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

is this bed original ?

Post by John V Cliche »

Hi Guys
Found some pic's in a borrowed book today.
Standard Catalog of U S Military Vehicles by T Berndt.
On pages 101 thru 104.
Several pic's of IHCs with bodies similar to the previous posts both here and on the G503
Also two pic's of IHCs with GMC BUDD bodies as well
The article states that IHC used bodies by Anthony unlike GMC and US6 who used budd bodies.
Bodies were " 8 or 12 feet long,either all wood ,wood and steel ,or all steel, dump and specialty bodies were all steel,SOME bodies stowed the spare on the right front corner"
So it would appear that although modified and maybe not installed by Uncle Sam the bodies on the 1 1/2 ton Chevy's are indeed IHC/ Anthony.
Hope this helps
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
rwdfresno
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by rwdfresno »

Thanks for the info. I am convinced that this is an IHC deuce bed. One thing that was interesting that was pointed out was that the yellow truck has 4 supports and the green bed has 4 supports and may be shorter so maybe one is SWB and one is LWB.
Ryan
blackdog
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by blackdog »

I'd like to thank Ryan and everyone else for your help. If you all find any more information on these beds please post in this thread.

Thanks,

Brian