TIres & wheels

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
Robin
Private First Class
Private First Class

TIres & wheels

Post by Robin »

Since I don't have the correct power tools to remove the wheels from my Chevy, I just used the old fashioned way with the lug wrench and breaker bar. I now have a new-gained appreciation for the guys who had to do this feat in the field.
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Be careful if you try to break down tour own Rims. I use Ken Tool tire Irons, and they are not as tough as they wereyears ago. The lock ring is designed yo slide off once it is lifted enough to clear the reliefs depicted in the TMs. The tire Irons need a strong hand and confidence and caution as they slip. It is hard work. My record is breaking down 6 wheels from a Chev 4X4 in 55 minutes about 10 years ago. They were clean ones from a Fire dept truck and are on my CCKW now.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Be careful if you try to break down tour own Rims. I use Ken Tool tire Irons, and they are not as tough as they were years ago. The lock ring is designed yo slide off once it is lifted enough to clear the reliefs depicted in the TMs. The tire Irons need a strong hand and confidence and caution as they slip. It is hard work. My record is breaking down 6 wheels from a Chev 4X4 in 55 minutes about 10 years ago. They were clean ones from a Fire dept truck and are on my CCKW now.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Robin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Robin »

I just took them off of the truck. For $25 each, I let the local tire shop change the tires. Just breaking the lug nuts loose was enough of a workout for me.