tires

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
dadscckw
Private

tires

Post by dadscckw »

Here in the U.S. where is the best place to get tires? I have purchased from Coker and Lucas, was wanting to find something not quite so expensive if that is possible.
Rich
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: tires

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Tires are all roughly the same price from all the suppliers. Shipping varies.

I bought Firestone's from Universal. I liked the fact that they did not have all the DOT garbage on the side walls. Universal was very accommodating.

Good Luck,

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by mudflap »

It's funny. The one question that I get asked the most is: "Where can you possibly get tires for something like this?" In actuality, tires are one of the easiest parts to get. I can order one on Monday, and have it at my door by Wednesday. As you allude to, however, paying for it is the hard part. :)

I purchased some of the Coker/Firestones. They seem to be very well made, and I have had good service from them. Not sure if they are exactly the same as the ones Bill got from Universal, or not. There are some warning labels stamped into the sidewall, but if you know which position on the vehicle the tire is going, you can place them on the inside.

I got mine thru Summit, which offers free shipping for orders over $100 - so you can save a little there.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-77504/overview/

The last time I bought them they were $250, but now I see they are up to nearly $300. Although the ad says you can get a $60 rebate if you buy 4....

The other thing that I had difficulty with is finding a source for tubes. I really wanted ones made in the US, but the only ones I ever saw were like 40 years old, so I wasn't sure how well they would hold up. I finally purchased some from Umiversal (along with flaps).

https://www.universaltire.com/

They are manufactured in S. Korea, but seemed to be well made and have held up fine for the last 5 years or so.

Best Regards...
dadscckw
Private

Post by dadscckw »

where did you buy your tires?
Rich