Were CCKW headlights fitted to the DUKW? A few questions.

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
Crusoeman
Private

Were CCKW headlights fitted to the DUKW? A few questions.

Post by Crusoeman »

I am in England and helping a friend with some research information on a 1943 DUKW that he is restoring. He hopes to have it finished in time to take to Normandy next June for the 75th D-Day anniversary. We’ve recently been talking about headlights which he needs to source from somewhere but before he does can I ask a few questions, please?

We assume that they were exactly the same as fitted to the CCKW hence me starting this topic under CCKW Technical Repairs and not under DUKWs. Whilst I can find plenty of photos I am still not sure of the diameter. I think they were 7”. We even have an original copy of the manual and whilst it is full of useful information I can't find any reference to the diameter of the headlights. I also believe that the headlights took sealed beam units. Is anyone able to give me a bit of guidance on this please?

If the buckets do take sealed beam units would we be able to fit modern sealed beam units of the correct diameter?

By the way he intends to run the electrics as 12V rather than 24V.

Any advice on all of this would be much appreciated.

Graham
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Were CCKW headlights fitted to the DUKW? A few questions.

Post by Bill_Wolf »

You are correct.

Original was 7" Sealed beams 6 volt. They are the same as the CCKW and Chevy G506.
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
Crusoeman
Private

Post by Crusoeman »

Thanks Bill for explaining. Much appreciated.

As it's the first DUKW that my friend has ever restored (and it will probably be the last, they don't come up every 5 minutes!) we are having to feel our way on a few things. You mention 6V so was the whole electrical system 6V? Why I say that is that the 2 NOS rear lights have ID markings painted on them in yellow that say 24V. It's not a problem as such because we are going to go to a 12V system anyway and will use 12V bulbs, etc. as appropriate so were the DUKWs originally 6V or 24V?

With regards the headlights we are going to try and source some over here in the UK but failing that try the States, unless anyone on here has a pair that they want to sell! We assume that modern 7" sealed beam units will slot straight in to the buckets and then be held in place by the rims.

Incidentally I was going to upload a couple of photos but then discovered that the limit for the forum had been reached. It's a problem with forums that I'm aware of. Is this temporary or will it get resolved?

Graham
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Motto »

The CCKW and DUKW headlights are for all practical purposes identical. Possibly the only difference you may find is in the use of semi-sealed or sealed beam lens units. Semi-sealed units would be a poorer choice for marine application. The bucket will take a 7" unit of either type, it is a very common size.
There may be a difference in the length of the wiring harness. The rubber grommet used where the harness passes through the mudguard/foredeck I believe is the same.
Conversion to 12 Volts from the original 6 Volts is a worthwhile modification.

David
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Motto »

All production DUKWs to my knowledge had 6 Volt electrical systems. The only WW2 U.S. vehicles to have 24 Volt systems were, I think, armoured cars and tanks.

David
Crusoeman
Private

Post by Crusoeman »

Many thanks for everyone's help over my questions. Much appreciated.

David, now knowing that tanks and armoured vehicles ran on 24V systems we think answers the question about the rear light we already have. They are NOS and marked up 24V. Although they are correct for the DUKW we would guess that the ones we have were actually destined for a tank or armoured vehicle and hence fitted with 24V bulbs. It's no more than a bulb change that we need to do although we are going to 12V and not 6V as you already know.

Graham