fitting Windshield gasket

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
RolandRat
Sergeant
Sergeant

fitting Windshield gasket

Post by RolandRat »

Hi, anyone have tips for fitting the Windshield gasket (on a closed cab)? Getting, I hope, a new gasket from Pat (OldChevyTruck)
Thanks, Roland
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: fitting Windshield gasket

Post by mudflap »

Hi RolandRat,

As far as CCKWs go, unfortunately I can't give you any help as mine is an open cab.

Installed a fair number of windshields with rubber gaskets in light and medium duty trucks - back in the days before they were installed using urethane adhesive.

The ones that I am familiar with have an expander strip, that fits into a groove on the outside of the rubber weather strip. Once the windshield and weatherstrip were in the body, we used a small tool that looked like a bottle opener, which would spread the groove in the weather strip, and push in the expander with one motion.

I'm thinking the CCKW probably uses the one piece weatherstrip? You might want to try the "rope trick". I have never used it personally, but it is described here:

https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/win ... tall.html

Speaking of windshields, you may find this story amusing. When I first got my truck, there was a stone chip in the windshield. So, I just removed the hinges, popped it off, and took it over to the local glass shop so they could repair it.

When I arrived, the conversation went somewhat like this:

Me: Hi. I have a stone chip in my GMC's windshield that I would like to get fixed.

Them: Sure. I will need to look at it. Where is the truck?

Me: At home.

Them: Sir, you need to bring the truck in, if you want us to fix it.

Me. Well, the truck is at home... But I have the windshield here.

Them: (Somewhat confused) Your truck is at home, but the truck's windshield is here?

Me: Yes. I removed it from the truck, its in my car.

Them: (Very animated). Sir!! You didn't have to do that!! We could have just as easily fixed it while it was still in the truck!!

Me: No.. No... You don't understand. It is an old military truck, and the windshield comes off very easily.

So I took them out to the car and showed them. Then, we all had a good laugh as they had thought that I had actually cut the windshield out of a new truck, just to bring it in for stone chip repair. The techs all thought is was cool to work on the windshield of a 70+ year old army truck.

But the fun was not quite over. When I picked up the windshield later in the day, I went to the cashier to pay for the repair.

Cashier: Sir, you'll be glad to know there is a lifetime warranty on that repair. I just need some information for the warranty. Now let's see, that was a GMC truck, right?

Me: Yes.

Cashier: OK. What year is the truck?

Me: 1944.

Cashier: Huh ?

Me: 1944

Cashier: (puzzled) Uh.. O.K... What kind of GMC truck ?

Me: A CCKW.

Cashier: Uhhhh... Is that like a.. uhhh... Sierra ?

Me: Sure.. :)

Cashier: And what is the VIN?

Me: Well.. I'll just give you the registration number. 4625319-S.

Cashier: And ?

Me: That's it.

Cashier. (Impatient now.) No. There has to be more numbers...

Finally the Tech walks up & chimes in and tells her its OK.. Just complete the sale...

I still crack up when I think about that...

Best Regards...
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Motto »

The windscreen glass on the hard cab is installed in its frame the same as the soft cab, it is mounted in a groove in the steel frame in a 'U' shaped gasket. Any glass shop will have a plastic channel that will do the job. It doesn't matter if the 'U' is too deep as the excess can be trimmed back level with the frame using a very sharp blade. The main thing is that the gasket is for the correct thickness glass and is the right thickness to support the glass in the groove.
What I do strongly recommend is that you seal the frame to the glass with a black non acidic silicon sealer to keep water out. I do this by applying masking tape up to the edge of the frame and also on the glass about 3/16" from the frame. Apply the sealant and run your finger around it to smooth it and remove the excess. Carefully remove the tape before the sealant starts to cure. This will leave a neat fillet of sealant that looks like a moulded gasket. Do this inside and out and the job will last a lifetime.

David
RolandRat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by RolandRat »

Hi all:
Mudflap, an fun story, I think I have had a few similar situations :D
The gasket in question is like a 'blade' ...between the frame and the cab body. It has a kind od 'dovetail' at its base that has to be pushed into the frame. The rope method I am familiar with for fitting glass into a rubber section.
Wish I was still in Mi :(
David, thanks but the seal I am referring to fits.... see reply above. I shall use a glazing compound to re-fit the glass, not the thin channel. It is so much easier to install as the frame is now slightly erregular due to rust and the way I may have to rejoin the 2 halves of the frame.
75 year old truck so I guess its to be expected !
Thanks guys
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by mudflap »

David,
The windscreen glass on the hard cab is installed in its frame the same as the soft cab, it is mounted in a groove in the steel frame in a 'U' shaped gasket.
D'oh! You are absolutely correct! Totally forgot that the hard cab utilizes the folding windshield. :oops:

RolandRat,

Where abouts in MI did you reside?

Best Regards...

Bob
RolandRat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by RolandRat »

Hi, I lived in Dearborn for almost 3 years, working for a major motor company who have their headquarters there!. I had the time of my life, both at work and socially. :D Learnt to fly at Detroit airport. Ski-ing at " Boyne" and visited 30 of the other states. (I want to come back).
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by mudflap »

Hi RolandRat,

Gad to hear that you enjoyed your time here. MI winters can be a little depressing sometimes - as the sun seems to hide behind the clouds for weeks on end, but overall it is a nice place to live, and there are some beautiful vacation spots.

I happen to work in Warren MI, for a major competitor of the guys in Dearborn.

I have also skied at Boyne many years ago - when I used to ski.

We once had a German engineering exchange student working with us. He had been skiing on the Alps probably before he could walk. One weekend, a bunch of other local students invited him along on a weekend ski trip to "Boyne Mountain". On Friday, he was all geeked in anticipation for skiing in "the mountains" . I didn't say anything before he left that afternoon, however on Monday, I was laughing at his reaction. "They called zat a mountain! That vas not a Mountain!!!", he exclaimed. :D (For those unfamiliar with MI geography, overall it is pretty flat. Boyne, at 500 ft. height, would probably barely rate as a bunny hill in the Alps.)

Take care. Happy Holidays!

Bob
RolandRat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by RolandRat »

Hi Bob, When I visited Boyne I had a similar reaction ! Still had a great time though.

All the best, Roland