Rear Trunnion Spring Seat Seal Question

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Rear Trunnion Spring Seat Seal Question

Post by mudflap »

I am in the process of removing the rear spring seats, and servicing the trunnion bearings. I will be replacing all four u-bolts, as they have started to neck down in the area where they enter the spring seat. Looks like the design of the spring seat is optimized to collect dirt and water, which apparently has accumulated over the years, leading to corrosion of the u-bolts. Will dissemble and inspect springs as well, to see what they look like.

I have a question concerning the seal that goes between the spring seat and the trunnion shaft. The diagram in my ORD 9-G508 (Apr '45) shows the seal that is currently on my truck - a large felt washer sandwiched between two steel washers.

However, Group 1601 lists an "Oil Seal, Rear Spring Seat Bearing", PN 2199398 (which is also part of a set, PN 2200650). I am picturing this as perhaps a replacement seal, that seats on the trunnion shaft and has a rubber sealing service on the OD of the seal, contacting the ID of the spring seat? Since the seal has to go on before the bearing, that's the only configuration that I could see work, right?

If so, does anyone know of a current source for that seal? Have not had much luck locating it, or its cross referenced counterparts (CR, Timken, National, etc.)

In lieu of that seal, can I just replace the felt one that is in there? Thinking about maybe getting some equivalent felt from McMaster Carr, and cutting out my own seal. It just has the keep dirt and an occasional splash of water out. I don't plan on running it submerged.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards...
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Rear Trunnion Spring Seat Seal Question

Post by Motto »

The early seal was a felt ring with metal retainer as you describe. These were made obsolete presumably by the advent of the DUKW when the neoprene seal was developed. Years ago I came into possession of 3,000 of the felt rings (10 crates of 300 each) These were in perfect condition but of no use whatsoever and I disposed of them all except a handful. I don't know if I have any left.
I do however have a small number of NOS Oil Seal Kit GMC P/No 2200650, Ord No G 501 7001940 These appear to be in excellent condition and as well as the seal also contain the pressed steel adaptor ring and gasket. $40 USD ea. Postage from Australia would make the cost prohibitive I expect unless you know some one that is coming this way.

David
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by mudflap »

Hi David,
3,000 of the felt rings (10 crates of 300 each)
:o Wow! That is some find!!

Thanks very much for your kind offer regarding the oil seal kits. I used to know people who traveled to your area quite regularly (Holden, in Melbourne). They would carry parts and equipment back and forth for us frequently in order to save on shipping. However, as activities there are sadly winding down, that does not happen much anymore.

I do work with a guy here in the US who recently transferred from there. Maybe he is going back for a visit sometime in the near future....

In the meantime, I'm thinking about going the felt route. I was able to cut some pretty good facsimiles out of some heavy duty felt that I purchased from McMaster Carr. If I had a DUKW, or took the truck through the mud a lot, I might be more concerned, but for all practical purposes it never leaves the road, so I'm thinking the felt design will be OK for my application.

BTW, if I ever do decide to upgrade in the future, have you ever had any luck pulling that inner bearing off without damaging it? The TM shows the puller - which I assume is the kind the sorta encapsulates the bearing, holding all the rollers in the best position to push on the race. I did not have one of those, and since the inner bearing was pretty beat up anyway, I just cut the cage off and pushed the race off with an air chisel. It was on there pretty tight.

Thanks Again.

Best Regards,

Bob
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Motto »

I've only ever destroyed the bearings during removal as I don't have a puller any where near what would be required. I find the simplest way is to split the cage and dispose of the rollers then use an angle grinder on the inner race. You can tell when you are getting close to the axle by the rapid change in colour. You don't have to grind right through. It can then be removed with a chisel.

David